Posted to users@camel.apache.org by ninadmnaik <nn...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/10 19:03:40 UTC

Can Camel pick up changes to a properties file at runtime?

Hello,
I am writing a simple module to FTP files to a remote server. I am using a
properties file to read the ftp info such as server, username, password etc.

ex: here's how my properties file looks like:

ftp.protocol=ftp
ftp.host=localhost:2121
ftp.path=files
ftp.username=admin
ftp.password=admin
ftp.client={{ftp.protocol}}://{{ftp.host}}/{{ftp.path}}?username={{ftp.username}}&password={{ftp.password}}&reconnectDelay=5000

Now, depending on the type of file, I want to change the "ftp.host",
"ftp.path" etc in the above snippet.

According to this post:
http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Camel-Properties-Component-Cache-td5539115.html

camel will pick up the changes to properties file.

But this isn't working for me. So, does camel support this? Can changes to a
properties file be detected during runtime?

Here's how my camel context looks:

<camelContext id="camelContext"
xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring">
      <propertyPlaceholder id="properties" cache="false"
                           location="classpath:ftp.properties"
                           xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring"/>
      <routeBuilder ref="ftpRouteBuilder"/>
   </camelContext>

I have also tried using PropertiesComponent in the configure method in the
RouteBuilder:
PropertiesComponent propertiesComponent =
getContext().getComponent("properties", PropertiesComponent.class);
propertiesComponent.setCache(false);
propertiesComponent.setLocation("classpath:ftp.properties");

Thanks a bunch !

Re: Can Camel Route pick up changes to a properties file at runtime?

Posted by ninadmnaik <nn...@gmail.com>.
Ok. So seems like routes can't be updated. But an existing route can be
deleted and a new route added at runtime.

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Update-camel-route-at-runtime-using-config-admin-td4965455.html

That kind of answers my question.

Thanks.