Posted to community@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/03 13:44:12 UTC

No-commitment support options for Apache projects

Hi,

Subscribing another mailing list just to ask a simple question is a
pretty big step for many people, so I'm interested in how (or if)
different Apache projects are serving such users who don't want to
commit to a steady stream of incoming email.

Some projects have IRC channels and Twitter accounts for such
purposes, others point to the web-to-list gateway at Nabble, and some
use the issue tracker also for end user questions. And even though
Apache has traditionally preferred mailing lists over web forums, some
projects have loosely related support forums hosted elsewhere.

How do these things work in practice? What would you recommend for a
project that's looking for such tools for interacting with new or
occasional users who don't want to join the mailing lists?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: No-commitment support options for Apache projects

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On Fri 03 Jul 2009 19:44, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some projects have IRC channels and Twitter accounts for such
> purposes, others point to the web-to-list gateway at Nabble, and some
> use the issue tracker also for end user questions. And even though
> Apache has traditionally preferred mailing lists over web forums, some
> projects have loosely related support forums hosted elsewhere.
>
> How do these things work in practice? What would you recommend for a
> project that's looking for such tools for interacting with new or
> occasional users who don't want to join the mailing lists?

I prefer directing people to web forums (Nabble) instead of IRC.  IRC
can still be tricky for some people to connect to, especially at work.

Of course eventually we'll move the entire mailing list infrastructure
over to Google Wave, right? :-)

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁

Re: No-commitment support options for Apache projects

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
[Justin had trouble posting to community@, see below for his reply. --jukka]

From: Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>
Subject: Re: No-commitment support options for Apache projects
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:57:02 +0100

Personally, I'm finding that Nabble is working ok for SpamAssassin.
we get a few complaints from other list posters about breaches of list
etiquette from once-off posters, but it beats having to log into IRC
or deal with one-to-one queries IMO.

--j.