Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Dockery <do...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/30 01:03:18 UTC

Custom Realm

I need to override a single method in a standard tomcat6 realm for a particular
webApp/context.

The method:   RealmBase.getPrincipal(X509Certificate usercert)

Q1) Should I create a new custom realm (..subClass of RealmBase) which is
based-on/copied-from the original/standard tomcat realm?

Q2) what all classes will I need in my new custom realm?  (...only
MyCustomRealm class itself? )

Q3) Should I reference my new realm  via my webapp's META-INF/context.xml file?

Q4) Should I put my realm class(es) in a jar inside the tomcat6/lib directory?

...I am new to tweaking realm's, so appreciate the feedback.

RE: Custom Realm

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael Dockery [mailto:dockeryjavaman@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Custom Realm

> Q1) Should I create a new custom realm (..subClass
> of RealmBase) which is based-on/copied-from the
> original/standard tomcat realm?

You can, but wouldn't it be simpler to subclass the realm whose behavior is already closest to what you want?

> Q2) what all classes will I need in my new custom realm?

A realm is usually just one class.

> Q3) Should I reference my new realm via my webapp's
> META-INF/context.xml file?

Yes.

> Q4) Should I put my realm class(es) in a jar inside the
> tomcat6/lib directory?

That's where it must go, and only there.

 - Chuck