Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com> on 2004/03/23 20:01:45 UTC

Re: Thanks and a global versioning question; WAS:: Help: XML Pars er e rror, Date Conversion failed

your release identifier ideally would be the revision number. this is of
course different than the customer-visible "version" (2.0, 2000, XP etc).

in short, "version" is marketing & management. build # is for tech support.
by the way, microsoft does this too. see the various splash screens or
help/about screens on their applications. most contain a 64 digit (or so)
build identifier (including win* itself).

our applications always contain a hidden build stamp, which is the revision
built and the date/time in plain english. customers only see this if we show
it to them while troubleshooting.

--
McClain Looney
LoonSoft LLC