Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2002/11/14 16:39:57 UTC

Gump, centipede, maven, etc...

Over the last few days, I've gotten a greater percentage of the gump run
to be attempted.  And the work that I did would not have been practical
without the recent efforts of Stefan and Peter.  While this is clearly a
labor of love on my and other's parts, relying us to do this across all
ASF projects (even only the Java ones) simply does not scale.

I believe that the information that a pure bootstrapping approach
provides is quite valuable.  Here are a sample of current failures:

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-turbine-jcs.html
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-turbine-stratum.html
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/commons-jelly.html
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-james.html
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/krysalis-ruper.html

For this information to be available on a more consistent and timely
basis, there needs to be a way for the information necessary to do a
bootstrapped build to be actively maintained.  This information may
originate from a maven project descriptor, or from a unified
gump/centipede/etc descriptor.

Furthermore, the code that actually runs the build (be it maven or cent)
needs to be aware of the bootstrapped versions of dependencies and
substitute them in place of the ones that the developer may have declared.

I don't know how to get this dones across all of the various codebases,
but I am willing to do my part.  Are there maven and/or centipede
developers out there who share this goal?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Gump, centipede, maven, etc...

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Over the last few days, I've gotten a greater percentage of the gump
> run to be attempted.  And the work that I did would not have been
> practical without the recent efforts of Stefan and Peter.  While this
> is clearly a labor of love on my and other's parts, relying us to do
> this across all ASF projects (even only the Java ones) simply does not
> scale.
>
> I believe that the information that a pure bootstrapping approach
> provides is quite valuable.  Here are a sample of current failures:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-turbine-jcs.html
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-turbine-stratum.html
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/commons-jelly.html
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/jakarta-james.html
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/krysalis-ruper.html
>
> For this information to be available on a more consistent and timely
> basis, there needs to be a way for the information necessary to do a
> bootstrapped build to be actively maintained.  This information may
> originate from a maven project descriptor, or from a unified
> gump/centipede/etc descriptor.
>
> Furthermore, the code that actually runs the build (be it maven or
> cent) needs to be aware of the bootstrapped versions of dependencies
> and substitute them in place of the ones that the developer may have
> declared.
>
> I don't know how to get this dones across all of the various
> codebases, but I am willing to do my part.  Are there maven and/or
> centipede developers out there who share this goal?

I will comit to getting the centipede stuff to work.