Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/30 09:09:55 UTC

osqa

I discovered recently OSQA which is an opensource QA system which is more
in phase which what I described sometimes ago to handle the questions and
such things from any user. I wonder if someone already tested it and if it
would be a good fit for us:

http://www.osqa.net/

thoughts?

- benoit

Re: osqa

Posted by Tim Black <ti...@alwaysreformed.com>.
On 10/30/2013 03:09 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> I discovered recently OSQA which is an opensource QA system which is more
> in phase which what I described sometimes ago to handle the questions and
> such things from any user. I wonder if someone already tested it and if it
> would be a good fit for us:
>
> http://www.osqa.net/
>
> thoughts?
Would it provide any advantage over just asking questions on
StackOverflow/StackExchange?

Tim

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW: https://github.com/mcaprari/fortytwo/ StackOverflow clone as CouchApp
>
> A bit dead project, but we could resurrect it since it would be great
> example about using CouchDB in real if we'll setup such QA system.
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,

indeed. there was also my unmaintained nymphormation:

https://github.com/benoitc/nymphormation

- benoit

Re: osqa

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Brad Rhoads <bd...@gmail.com>.
OSQA is pretty good. But not being retained any more. I think we might as
well you stack overflow.

Re: osqa

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I discovered recently OSQA which is an opensource QA system which is more
> in phase which what I described sometimes ago to handle the questions and
> such things from any user. I wonder if someone already tested it and if it
> would be a good fit for us:
>
> http://www.osqa.net/
>
> thoughts?

I have a bit experience with http://askbot.com/
https://github.com/ASKBOT/askbot-devel

The main problem of such systems is the users expectations: if you
have an issue, you'll ask on SO / ML. That's trivial. If you look for
some solution, google will suggest you also SO. It would be hard to
promote our OSQA instance as the main place of users support.
Otherwise this would be yet another system that need to be monitored
for support.

But they are good for intranet sites for sure.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> @Matt: "Devil's Advocate" or "The Devil's Advocate". The later features
> Charlize Theron and that's a very good thing!

Yes ^that one, with Charlize! (and Neo, and Pacino)

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Matt: "Devil's Advocate" or "The Devil's Advocate". The later features
Charlize Theron and that's a very good thing!

Yeah I know, I was mostly kidding about the "eliminate all other sites" bit
;-)

I'm just so very tired and bored with SO. Tired of having to sift through a
hundred+ SO garbage posts to find one or two with links to an external site
containing the answer I need. Tired of putting money in their pockets :-(

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
The site url is http://programmazione.it

I have a community with over 42.000 registered users and I'm rebuilding the platform on CouchDB, PHP, ElasticSearch and Redis. I'm doing something in the middle between StackOverflow, Reddit and WordPress. The difference with StackOverflow is that you'll not only might earn reputation with questions and answers but also with articles, book reviews and links.
It's a long story, I didn't touch the code for many years, I was tired to manage it. I didn't sell when I could (big mistake), and then I got tired to manage the site, so I started to work for a US company as Chief Software Architect, I got a H1B Visa, but then I decided to stay in Italy, I bought an house and I found myself forced to work again on the site. I could use MySQL, but I decided to go with CouchDB because I wanted learn new things and I liked the concepts behind it. Anyway, I hope to be on line for the end of the year.
I started Programmazione.it in the 1999 and I never used any intermediary. I have built relationships with media centers and direct clients in the past years and I have client like Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, HP, Fujitsu/Siemens Symantec, etc. Actually the business really sucks, but I'm not moving commercially until the new site is on line.

-Filippo

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "Florian Westreicher Bakk.techn." <st...@meredrica.org>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Matt: Your point about managers search for "CouchDB" and seeing the SO/SE
results at the top are certainly valid. However, this is something that can
be easily managed with good SEO on the (some) new CouchDB Community site.
No reason for your own site not to appear at/near the top of
Google/Bing/Yahoo searches for "CouchDB". Also, most seach engines heavily
weight results if the search word appears in the site url.

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

> I don't want to discuss the quality of the answer you can find on a stack
> exchange inc website. Stack overflow generate a lot of noise for sure, and
> it's really difficult to find valuable and deeper information among the
> noise it generates in the search engines but it's not the thing I want to
> discuss here.
>
> Also I don't buy the argument of "there are more people on SO". One true
> thing is that most are here too even if you had to register. Simply reusing
> your email could also work as your login, you don't need more.
>
> But I don't want to enter in such considerations yet. It's kind of
> premature.

I think the hallmark of the succession of
where-we-go-online-to-find-tech-answers is how they handle and improve on
the signal to noise ratio - e.g. how efficiently can we cultivate and make
discoverable good answers.

All valid points, and yes perhaps I am thinking too far off in a strategic
tangent. But in the same vein, someone ought to be thinking strategically
about this... because the lessons of the Drupal anecdote are that an open
source project, and especially it's community, undergoes certain, sometimes
intense transformations as it grows (and couchdb will certainly grow!)...
Eventually more of those email recommendations for couchdb increase and
reach further up the managerial ladder and said managers check... wait for
it, the most popular support channels (e.g. SO) to make their 2-minute
determination on whether it is indeed viable technology...

and so on :)

> To be clear I am looking for a tool to handle QA that can be controlled by
> the community: the content license, the way you can extend it... It
> appeared to me that OSQA could have been a good way to do it. From the
> discussion I can see a list of questions we should ask before choosing it
>
> - How it can scale?
> - Which scale do we need ?
> - Is it easy to manage it?
>
> I would also be interesting to know what people are expecting from such
> tool, which kind of features. Then we could probably list some solutions
> and poll everyone here about what they want even if these solutions are
> proprietary, based on some laws nobody really want etc.

Alright, I'll drop in my other 2 cents now:
Open Atrium 2.0 (based on Drup

al 7.0 heh)
or How about that cozy cloud thing that was posted here last week?
or How about the 'apps' for garden20...

... to toss a couple of dogfooding options in the mix!

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
+1

Re: osqa

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "Florian Westreicher Bakk.techn." <st...@meredrica.org>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Daniel Gonzalez <go...@gonvaled.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
As you can see there are just few specialized sites, but the critical mass maybe it's not important, in fact there is a site dedicated to Tridon and another one to SharePoint. The Area 51 FAQ doesn't answer the question, but maybe it is a good start.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/
http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq
http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/52066/what-makes-a-winning-site-proposal

This is also interesting:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/49551/reverse-engineering

They use some statistics to evaluate a beta site: questions per day, percentage of answered questions, avid users, answer ratio and visits per day.

Re: osqa

Posted by Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
You can try to ask, but I don't think Stack Exchange will create a network site for CouchDB. I think the CouchDB user base is not big enough.

-Filippo

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.
I very much agree with this assessment. If you go to osqa's own Q&A site (follow their 'meta' link) and click on any user name link, you find that it's broken. If someone wants to take this on and fix these sorts of problems, that's great, but it is likely to take quite a bit of work, which might be better spent on CouchDb.

Nick

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyway I'm not saying OSQA doesn't fit the CouchDB community needs, I'm
>> just saying OSQA can't be compared with StackOverflow in term of
>> functionalities. StackOverflow is a complex software system with versioning
>> management, moderation based on votes, synonyms, it uses extensively
>> ElasticSearch, it provides a way to query its data.
>> OSQA is just a simple clone with basic functionalities that doesn't
>> scale, made for personal use or minor communities. Different things for
>> different jobs. But if you don't trust, like or simply you don't want use
>> an external service like StackOverflow, OSQA can be an option. Just
>> remember that the project is not active anymore, and there is a cost
>> related its administration.
>

> This also what they are sayiing on their website. I am not which scale we
> really need but the admin cost is really smth w should take in
> consideration.

s/am not/don't know

sorry forgot to remove the auto correction.

and about the scale:
http://meta.osqa.net/questions/8645/how-will-osqa-scale-and-perform-under-very-heavy-usage

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013, Filippo Fadda wrote:

> Someone told me to not argue with you and I don't. :-)

 People making such comment to you are stupid and are just perverting any
real discussion by commenting in the hidden. I am only considering and
trusting people acting in the open .

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.

Re: osqa

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Filippo Fadda <

Re: osqa

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.

Re: osqa

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.
Or propose a 'couchdb' SE site; here's the only proposal (status: closed as
not viable) I could find...
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/45045/nosql

Re: osqa

Posted by Andrew Melo <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Mark Deibert <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I suppose it's very similar to SO and perhaps no better. Someone should
> install OSQA and give a look to see what it can do. Maybe it's better,
> maybe not. There so much going on at SO. So much static there. A nice,
> focused on Couch only, site would be my preference :-)

I find that SO's searching tools are without par, the only issue is that
for some topics there's very few knowledgable people answering questions,
but that's a site-independent problem ;)

-Andrew

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Aurélien Bénel <aurelien.benel@utt.fr
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > OSQA looks like the exact tool we need for CouchDB discussion/Q&A!
> >

> > Why would it succeed better than StackOverFlow?
> > Just because it is open-source?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Aurélien

Andrew Melo