Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/19 19:00:11 UTC

Error Handling in BSPPeerChild

Hi,

Suraj came across a strange error handling. I'm just summing this up here.
The code that guards the run method (task.run(job, bspPeer, umbilical);) is
quite strange.
Have a look at arround line 1273 in GroomServer.

We are catching FSError and SyncException to report back to the groom in
case of failure.
In case of a normal exception, we are just logging fatal in the configured
log.

However there are a few things what I refer to as strange:
- Why the copy in bytearray outputstreams?
- Why not reporting back any failure to groom, instead of just FSError
and SyncException?

Can anybody clarify?

Otherwise I would propose to merge the methods to just catching Throwable
and reporting back all failures to LOG and to the groom.