Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rafał Mączewski <co...@pa70.ziebice.sdi.tpnet.pl> on 2001/04/05 10:10:44 UTC

Problem with non-English letters in FOP

Hi,

I have a following problem displaying non-English characters in PDF files
generated by FOP and I am wondering if somebody could help me.

I am trying to display some Polish and Russian letters in the PDFs. My XML
file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<?cocoon-format type="text/xslfo"?>

<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
<fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="one">
<fo:region-body margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm" margin-left="1cm"
margin-right="1cm"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:page-sequence master-name="one">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <fo:block text-align="center">&#179;&#261;&#261;&#380;&#323;</fo:block>
    </fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Now, instead of the letters I get # signs. I have also tried putting UTF-8
characters instead of the &#xxx but that does not help. The same is when I
change the document encoding to 'iso-8859-2'.

I am using Cocoon-1.8.2 with FOP 0.15 but I have also tried using
Cocoon-1.8.0 with FOP 0.13 and the results are the same.

Is there something that can be done? Is this a font problem? Do I have to
embed some fonts in the PDF file? I've read that it is possible with the
newest version of FOP (0.17 and 0.18), but I cannot get these versions to
work with Cocoon.

Thanks in advance,

Rafal