Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net> on 2012/11/28 22:11:00 UTC

Re: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:50:51 -0500,
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> wrote:

> Agree - but the responsibility for the forking should be placed squarely
> where it lies - on Oracle. Moreover, the forked paths would have
> automatically rejoined had Oracle, when it decided to dump OOo, chosen to
> assign it to the Document Foundation, which was already up and running
> and
> which requested that this be done. Instead, the firm decided to assign
> all
> the rights to Apache, in the knowledge that doing so would perpetuate the
> fork. Thank you, Mr Ellison....
> Henri

Another way to end the forking would be for the Document Foundation to
swallow their pride and join Apache. Why insist on playing Oracle’s game?
Why insist that there needs to be a fork when you could simply join Apache
and make OpenOffice better? Simply because you feel slighted or wanted to
be the heroes?

--
Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood

Re: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gi...@sbcglobal.net>.
There is also another fork - StarOffice, the predecessor of OpenOffice.
http://staroffice.com/
Way back before OpenOffice, Sun purchased StarOffice from Star Division
and then made it open source as OpenOffice. The last I heard, Sun
Microsystems was still developing StarOffice as their income product,
where they sold it and bundled support in with it. Now I do not see any
connection between StarOffice and Oracle. Did Oracle get StarOffice when
they bought Sun or did Sun or Oracle spin it off? The StarOffice website
above is dated 2011, so it may be dead or dying. Clicking on News,
vectors to Apache OpenOffice!
Just curious.
Girvin Herr