Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Oliver Vecernik <ol...@aon.at> on 2003/11/03 08:42:49 UTC

some newbie questions

Hi all,

I recently started with Forrest to build my site and I immediately felt
in love with it. But at the beginning there are some questions left even
after reading the FAQ. ;-)

It is a quite new technology for me, so please be patient...

1. It's going to be a German site, but didn't find the place where to
tell. I'd like to have all the texts (Search, footer, ...) translated.
I'll start using it as a static site. How is this achieved?

2. My surname contains a c-caron (&#268;) and it's rendered correctly
most of the time. Only in skinconf.xml->trail and when rendering to PDF
it's displayed as '#' or '?' respectively. You can easily find this on
the first page under:

http://members.aon.at/vecernik/forrest/

Is this a Bug?

3. I put my favicon.ico under ./src/documentation/content/ and	it is
copied to ./build/site, but I can't see it. How do I activate it?

4. I'd like to adapt the skin to my needs. Under 'Using Forrest' there
is an advice to copy xml-forrest/src/resources/skins/template, but there
is no such directory (I pulled the latest CVS code).

Regards,
Oliver

Re: some newbie questions

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Oliver Vecernik wrote:
> Christian Geisert schrieb:

[..]

>> For the PDF see http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters
>> (it seems c-caron is not part of ISO Latin1)
>
> I'm no font expert, but as far as I know it is part of ISO Latin2. But
> I've rendered it already correctly from other programs and if I look at
> the PDF spec (V1.3) the caron should be at 031 (octal). But it is also

You need a c-caron, caron is not enough ;-)
And c-caron is not part of the standard PDF fonts. So you need to use
(and embed) a custom font for the PDF.

> renderd to a `?' in the trail altough it is rendered correctly just the
> line under the trail. That's why I was asking if this is a bug.

The problem with the trail sounds like a bug (and is very likely not
related to the PDF problem). How does the html source for the c-caron
look like?

Christian

Re: some newbie questions

Posted by Oliver Vecernik <ol...@aon.at>.
Christian Geisert schrieb:

> Oliver Vecernik wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently started with Forrest to build my site and I immediately felt
>> in love with it. But at the beginning there are some questions left even
>> after reading the FAQ. ;-)
>

> Read more FAQs ;-)

Hi Christian!

As you know you can never read enough...

Re: some newbie questions

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Oliver Vecernik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently started with Forrest to build my site and I immediately felt
> in love with it. But at the beginning there are some questions left even
> after reading the FAQ. ;-)

Read more FAQs ;-)

[..]

Re: some newbie questions

Posted by Jason End <be...@yahoo.com>.
I think the skin template was moved to the core
folder:
xml-forrest/src/core/context/skins/template/

That's what I see on the CVS; I don't have access to
my forrest site right now.

Jay

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com