Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2020/11/05 20:49:26 UTC

Pre-release commit messages

A request to improve readability of pre-release commit messages: would
it be possible to svn mv a directory (or a set of directories) instead
of the single files?

Looking at
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?commits@openoffice.apache.org
there are 33 pages of mails for Linux/Mac that make it quite hard to see
if a language got skipped or something.

On the contrary, Windows commits are grouped 5 languages at a time and
the log is quite readable; but even 1 commit per language, as opposed to
1 commit per file, would significantly improve readability.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Pre-release commit messages

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Nov 5, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On the contrary, Windows commits are grouped 5 languages at a time and the log is quite readable; but even 1 commit per language, as opposed to 1 commit per file, would significantly improve readability.

apples and oranges. If you note when we commit to dist-dev, the Linux/macOS are also grouped as one large commit per language.

Re: Pre-release commit messages

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Am 08.11.20 um 14:54 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 7, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> But let me say one thing: This was (will be) a GREAT release!
>>
>> We have touched more files than ever, we had great support from Don
>> (FreeBSD), we had a PR from Akikazu (Android), we had a lot of new
>> people willing to test. I was also able to test binaries on OS/2 (thanks
>> Yuri).
>>
>> And last but not least, you did a tremendous job on hunting down on the
>> Linux issue!
>>
>> Thanks to everyone that put their precious spare time into this project!
>>
> Thank you for that... the complaints and ingratitude were starting to get to me... being an RM is a thankless job.
Let's wait for the download numbers. I am sure we get several ten
thousand "Thank you" a day! ;-)

Re: Pre-release commit messages

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi jim,

On 11/8/20 8:54 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> On Nov 7, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> But let me say one thing: This was (will be) a GREAT release!
>>
>> We have touched more files than ever, we had great support from Don
>> (FreeBSD), we had a PR from Akikazu (Android), we had a lot of new
>> people willing to test. I was also able to test binaries on OS/2 (thanks
>> Yuri).
>>
>> And last but not least, you did a tremendous job on hunting down on the
>> Linux issue!
>>
>> Thanks to everyone that put their precious spare time into this project!
>>
> Thank you for that... the complaints and ingratitude were starting to get to me... being an RM is a thankless job.

Thank You Jim for your hard work on this release !!

Best regards,
Carl

Re: Pre-release commit messages

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Am 08.11.20 um 14:46 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 7, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> Am 07.11.20 um 14:51 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> If svn supports it someone just needs to let me know how to do it. I tried 'svn mv' both from WD to repo and between repos and svn error out and did not support it.
>> If I remember it right it was just:
>>
>> svn mv http1 http2
>>
>> Worked for me with 4.1.6...
> Just a quick question: Did the directory that you were moving TO already exist? Maybe the issue is that we were trying to move one repo to another when the 'to' repo already existed...? I'm not sure, but I am confident that I tried exactly what you said and svn refused to do so with the error message.

The destination directory is created with the mv command. So this may
have been the problem...

I am pretty sure we also did it that way with 4.1.7.

Re: Pre-release commit messages

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Am 07.11.20 um 14:51 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> If svn supports it someone just needs to let me know how to do it. I tried 'svn mv' both from WD to repo and between repos and svn error out and did not support it.

If I remember it right it was just:

svn mv http1 http2

Worked for me with 4.1.6...

> If "clean" commit messages are more important keeping the move within SVN, then it is almost just as easy to manually copy (using the filesystem), and then 'svn add; svn ci' on the whole dir.

I received several 1000 mails in my inbox because I am subscribed to
commits@ ;-)

> I'm just following the guidelines. If people don't like em, that's fine, but don't complain about me for following them: change them.

The guideline just says to move the directory.
We had real issues with downloads and archive server taking more than a
day to synchronize the deferred Windows builds now.

But this was the first time we did signing afterwards. I will try to
make the guidelines more clear in this respect.
For the next release I would suggest that we wait until the binaries
(mac and Windows) are re-uploaded on dist/dev and then move everything
with one command to dist/releases.

But let me say one thing: This was (will be) a GREAT release!

We have touched more files than ever, we had great support from Don
(FreeBSD), we had a PR from Akikazu (Android), we had a lot of new
people willing to test. I was also able to test binaries on OS/2 (thanks
Yuri).

And last but not least, you did a tremendous job on hunting down on the
Linux issue!

Thanks to everyone that put their precious spare time into this project!

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Am 05.11.20 um 22:55 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> This is a restriction/limitation of 'svn'... you cannot move one dir to another between repos:
>
>     https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/308115/copy-folder-of-svn-repository-to-a-folder-in-another-repository

The last time I moved the dir I was able to do it with a single move. I
think that was with AOO 4.1.6.

But of course, the dir must then be complete and the Windows binaries
were late today...

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.