Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/05/28 16:21:52 UTC

James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Hi,

I hope you can help me....
Paul H. re-organised James around newer Avalon libraries/structure for us
the other day, I'm now meddling with his work trying to get James
distributions the way we like'em.

But ... I've noticed that whenever James is started Phoenix now unpacks the
libraries in the .sar into ~/work/james-1234?? (before they were in
~/apps/james/lib)
But when james stops this directory isn't removed, what can I do to either..

a) have phoenix always use ~/work/james or
b) have phoenix *always* clean this up, even supposing there is a bad
shutdown.
c) use apps/james/lib like we did before.

d.

Re: JMS SAR (early release)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Looks kool .. off to download OpenJMS now ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: JMS SAR (early release)

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Alexis,

Kewl dude, add me as a developer ( SF-ID = paul-h ).

-ph

JMS SAR (early release)

Re: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

The Phoenix in JAMES is from about three weeks ago.  I might try it with
the lastest pre-alpha..

- Paul

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 30 May 2002 01:23, Danny Angus wrote:
> > Hmm - can you tell me in what situations this directory is not
> > removed. I have
> > only tested under unix (which has no file locking) but it seemed to work.
>
> Windows, any shutdown at all leaves it intact.

grr... stupid file locking ;)

Okay. If a file can not be imediately be deleted then it will instead be
scheduled for delete at JVM shutdown.

So in theory this should mean that the files will all be deleted by the time
the JVM shuts down. However in practice this may not be so. It seems to be a
JVM/platform dependent behaviour and in 99% of cases the files will be
deleted correctly but the directories may or may not be deleted. The reason
being that delete could be called on directory before it is empty (which will
fail). So in this case you may get a lot of ugly empty directories.

Solutions:

* I could modify phoenix so that at startup all the empty directories (ie
remanents of last run on windows platforms) are deleted.

* I could modify phoenix so that all of work dir is deleted at startup. This
would make it difficult to run multiple instances of phoenix in same
hierarchy unless we added a --work-dir option on command line.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

RE: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

> Hmm - can you tell me in what situations this directory is not
> removed. I have
> only tested under unix (which has no file locking) but it seemed to work.

Windows, any shutdown at all leaves it intact.

> If you can submit a bug to
> bugzilla with
> details I will get this fixed.
Yup.

Re: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 29 May 2002 17:07, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Would ...
> >   d) clear the work/ dir on startup
> > ... be OK? (assuming two Pheonix not started from same root).
>
> Yes, it would help, but that strategy doesn't handle the case where
> something goes wrong on deploy/undeploy of a single app.

I just had a bash at fixing that. If you can test it and point out any cases
where this still occurs I would appreciate that ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

> Would ...
>   d) clear the work/ dir on startup
> ... be OK? (assuming two Pheonix not started from same root).

Yes, it would help, but that strategy doesn't handle the case where
something goes wrong on deploy/undeploy of a single app.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

RE: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Would ...
>   d) clear the work/ dir on startup
> ... be OK? (assuming two Pheonix not started from same root).

Yes that'd be fine, actually it seems only windows that doesn't clear it,
linux seems to work fine even with kill.
But I just know what the James user list will look like if we release it the
way it is ;-)

d.

Re: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Danny,