Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)" <la...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2014/01/21 16:56:50 UTC

Different loggers writing to same file with different Layouts?

Hi,

Using log4cxx v0.9.7,
I'd like to have two different loggers logging to a same file, but with different Layouts.

I have created two different loggers, part of same hierarchy.
Naively, I have assigned a different FileAppender to each, with a different Layout each.
But I have given the same file name to both.
This works. Both types of logs appear in the file.

However i wonder if this is only a side-effect rather than a feature. Because what would happen if i set different options on the two FileAppenders? What if i use both RollingFileAppender and FileAppender on the same file?

So is there another (safer?) recommended method for having two loggers writing to the same file, but with different layouts?

Actually, i want to have some log entries timestamped, others not.

regards,
Lars R.

RE: Different loggers writing to same file with different Layouts?

Posted by "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)" <la...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Hi Rhys,
Thanks anyway.

For the record, here's the equivalent question asked for log4j in general:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17399610/log4j-set-different-layout-for-same-file

regards,
Lars R.

> I'd like to have two different loggers logging to a same file, but with different Layouts.

I suspect, but do not know, that this is not supported.

> I have created two different loggers, part of same hierarchy.
> Naively, I have assigned a different FileAppender to each, with a different Layout each.
> But I have given the same file name to both.
> This works. Both types of logs appear in the file.
>
> However i wonder if this is only a side-effect rather than a feature.

I believe you're right that it is only a side-effect of the implementation.

> Because what would happen if i set different options on the two FileAppenders?
> What if i use both RollingFileAppender and FileAppender on the same file?

I suspect Very Bad Things (TM).

> So is there another (safer?) recommended method for having two loggers writing to the same file, but with different layouts?

I'm unsure of one.  I believe a Layout is 1-1 with an Appender and a File is 1-1 with a FileAppender.  How to do this is not jumping out at me from browsing the class hierarchy.

Sorry to not be more help,
Rhys

Re: Different loggers writing to same file with different Layouts?

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.