Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/01 07:34:10 UTC

Re: snapshotexport to outside of cluster

Hi,

>>Can you clarify what 'without copying to local file system' means ?

We want to take HBase tables backup.So we periodically take snapshots and
export data to backup server which is not in cluster.

Currently we are achieving this as mentioned below.

1.Create snapshots from HBase command line
   lets say we have created snapshot for a table called 'hbase_tabel' and
its snapshot name is 'hbase_tabel_snapshot'
2. Then export snapshot data to remote backup server which is not in
cluster.We are achieving this in two steps.
   a. Export snapshot to local file system(sample path /tmp/hbase_backup)
from hdfs file system as mentioned below
       hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.snapshot.ExportSnapshot -snapshot
hbase_tabel_snapshot -copy-to file:///tmp/hbase_backup -
       mappers      16
      Here we should have enough disc space in local file system to export
snapshot from hdfs.
    b.Transfer(scp) exported snapshot from local file system
(/tmp/hbase_backup)
to backup server which is not hadoop/HBase running
       server.

  That means first we have to export snapshot to local system from hdfs and
then transfer ( scp ) to remote server.Instead of doing in two steps can we
directly export snapshot to remote server(which is not in cluster) like how
it is exporting to another cluster.
.
Thanks
OC

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
What if there is a bad sector on the disk of remote server ?
Using hdfs, you're shielded from such scenario.

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
This JIRA would reduce the amount of data copied between local cluster and remote server:

HBASE-7912 Backup / restore based on snapshot and HFileLink