Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Darren Marvin <dj...@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk> on 2001/11/13 12:57:44 UTC

Messaging in contrast to RPC

Hi all,

I have implemented various services using SOAP RPC, but the services are possibly better suited to messaging. Essentially an initial request for a web service I provide should return a stream of message responses overtime. It is a very asynchronous interaction. Is this really feasible using Apache SOAP? I am particularly unsure whether it is possible to send a client message responses overtime after that client has registered an interest.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Marvin

Re: Messaging in contrast to RPC

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Darren Marvin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have implemented various services using SOAP RPC, but the services are possibly better suited to messaging. Essentially an initial request for a web service I provide should return a stream of message responses overtime. It is a very asynchronous interaction. Is this really feasible using Apache SOAP? I am particularly unsure whether it is possible to send a client message responses overtime after that client has registered an interest.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Darren Marvin

There is certainly no obstacle to what you propose as long
as you don't insist on using HTTP for transport.

I did some experiments with JavaMail, Java Message Service
and JavaSpaces messaging for my forthcoming book on Soap
programming with Java. SOAP messages fit in just fine.

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

Re: Messaging in contrast to RPC