Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by va...@aciworldwide.com on 2006/05/30 17:03:48 UTC

[Axis2][xmlbeans] Why so many files?

Hi,

I'm generating code for a simple web service using xmlbeans.

In the first place, what stunned me was the number of files that are
generated for a simple web service: approximately 400 ! The first thing
comes to mind (at least my mind, and I presume that of most users) is why
on earth would you need so many files? And what kind of files are they?
Xsb files... ehhhh...? I've tried to figure out what they are, but
couldn't find any documentation on them. In fact, I couldn't find any
documentation on xmlbeans at all.

I presume these generated xsb files are somehow dependent on the wsdl or
xsd, since they're generated each time I run wsdl2java. However, I've not
seen any differences between the files between subsequent runs of wsdl.
Does this mean the files are actually static? If so, can't they be
prebuilt, and simply be shipped with axis?
Also, with each run, a new directory is created with some unique hex id
name, that will contain many xsb files. Since this directory name is
different for each run, it means that the collection of xsb files is
growing and growing. You have to clean it up manually!
Another quirk is the TypeSystemHolder class, that is generated, and placed
somewhere between the xsb files. It's not a generated source file that is
located with the other, regular source files. You need to have it on the
classpath; that's all I know.

I'm sure it is possible to use an ant script to do all the required
copying and cleaning up, but I see this as a workaround for a not-so-nice
solution. Agree, it all works -- but it is all a bit hairy.

Thanks for letting me ventilate some frustration ;)
Tom