Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marek Slama <ms...@email.cz> on 2013/05/03 15:21:24 UTC

svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Hi,

not sure why but my svn client does not convert line endings for 'some' of
my files. I did not find any rule for this.
I have java project and files are text java sources. There is no mime type
or eol-style property set on given files and
some are with Linux line endings and some with DOS line endings. I have svn,
version 1.7.5 (r1336830) compiled
Sep 28 2012, 11:22:04. I do not know how to find out server version in case
it is relevant.

If I set eol-style property to native then it works. But such behaviour
seems weird to me.

Thanks

Marek

Re: svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 05/03/2013 09:57 AM, Marek Slama wrote:
> So it seems I will have to set eol-style explicitly on all my text files. I
> will have to investigate how to set eol-style
> for newly added file for different clients my teammates use on Win. On Linux
> I can set it in config file using auto-props.

Subversion applies the auto-props via configuration in its core libraries,
not up in the command-line client layer only.  You *should* find that all
clients recognize the auto-props runtime configuration as well.  See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.confarea.html for details on
how Windows handles runtime configuration stuffs.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Marek Slama <ms...@email.cz> wrote:
> So it seems I will have to set eol-style explicitly on all my text files. I
> will have to investigate how to set eol-style
> for newly added file for different clients my teammates use on Win. On Linux
> I can set it in config file using auto-props.

Subversion clients typically install some sort of per-user config file
with default auto-props for the common cases - but this may depend on
the particular client software.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Marek Slama <ms...@email.cz> wrote:
> So it seems I will have to set eol-style explicitly on all my text files. I
> will have to investigate how to set eol-style
> for newly added file for different clients my teammates use on Win. On Linux
> I can set it in config file using auto-props.
>
> Thanks for info
>
> Marek

Or learn to select, and use, a coding standard for  EOL and get what
you'd normally expect when you bop your code back and forth between
environments.. I personally recognize the UNIX EOL style, since for C
and various scripting languages it is better supported

Avoiding svn:eol is particularly critical when the working copy is
shared between operating systems, such as a Samba share with C or Java
source code in it that is also accessible via NFS to Linux users..

Re: svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote on Fri, May 03, 2013 at 09:34:16 -0400:
> In Subversion, your file's contents are considered sacred.  Unless you set
> the svn:eol-style property on a given file, well-behaved Subversion clients
> will not attempt to perform newline translation on that file.

I would state that more simply:

No Subversion client will modify file contents, unless that file has
svn:keywords or svn:eol-style set (whether that setting was done
manually or via auto-props is irrelevant).

Re: svn client does not convert line endings for some java files

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.