Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jeanna Geier <jg...@apt-cafm.com> on 2006/08/22 23:24:58 UTC

Slide and Secure Site Access (https)

Hi, I'm having some problems accessing a secure site and would appreciate any assistance anyone could give me.  I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me.

When trying to connect using the Slide client run.bat, the following error is occurring:

[ Slide ] $ open https://localhost/slide/files
connect https://localhost/slide/files/
Error: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun
.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid ce
rtification path to requested target
[ Slide ] $

However, if I try to connect via Internet Explorer, I don't have any problems (I am able to connect and see the authentication certificate as expected).

Another issue that I'm running into is that when trying to build the project using NetBeans, it is returning an error that it can't find the documents it needs (https://localhost/slide/files/Documents), even though they are out there.  I'm assuming these two issues are related...

These error started occurring after adding the following authentication info in my jakarta-slide-2.1-tomcat-5.0.28\webapps\slide\WEB-INF\web.xml file:

  <security-constraint>
     <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>Entire Application</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
     </web-resource-collection>
     <user-data-constraint>
        <description>Constrain the entire application to force use of HTTPS</description>
     </user-data-constraint>
   </security-constraint>

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jeanna

Re: Slide and Secure Site Access (https)

Posted by Jeanna Geier <jg...@apt-cafm.com>.
I've posted this problem on another site and was told that "The popup for
the certificate appears because it isn't trusted, i.e. it isn't signed by a
CA trusted by the browser. Fix that (by getting a signed cert) and you've
fixed everything."  However, I verified that the certificate I was using was
a 'trusted' certificate...when I login via Internet Explorer
(https://localhost/slide/files) I got the popup for the certificate the
first time and after clicking 'yes' to trust it, the next time I logged in
using IE, I did not get the popup.

However, I am still receiving the the two errors as described below; any
help would be greatly appreciated!

When trying to connect using the Slide client run.bat, the following error
is occurring:

[ Slide ] $ open https://localhost/slide/files
connect https://localhost/slide/files/
Error: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed:
sun
.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid ce
rtification path to requested target
[ Slide ] $

and

Another issue that I'm running into is that when trying to build the project
using NetBeans, it is returning an error that it can't find the documents it
needs (https://localhost/slide/files/Documents), even though they are out
there.

Thanks for your time and assistance.
-Jeanna

Posted by Jeanna Geier <jg...@apt-cafm.com>.
As I continue to plug away on this, I've answered some of my own questions
from yesterday...Am I not able to start Tomcat with SSL enabled without
having the
 authentication certificate generated? The answer to this would be NO.

Is there anyway to get around this?  I think I may have come up with a
solution, but am coming upon another roadblock...if I save the HTTPS
certificate in the trusted folder on the browser client, the Security Alert
dialog box does not display each time that I access the web application
(which hopefully will get me around my problem...we'll see!)

However, in the directions I found
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803fe674.html)
there is a note about if you're using localhost to access the application,
which I am; however, I can't seem to get the certificate to save in the
trusted folder for the localhost.....

    Note If you use the localhost, the IP address, or the hostname in the
URL to access the application that supports HTTPS, you must save the
certificate in the
    trusted folder for each of type of URL (with the local host, IP address,
and so on); otherwise, the Security Alert dialog box displays for each type.

PLEASE, any additional help or instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Posted by Jeanna Geier <jg...@apt-cafm.com>.
[...]

        .
        .
[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)