Posted to users@camel.apache.org by DariusX <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/31 16:02:04 UTC

Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

I would like to expose some Camel routes via REST, and am considering using
the REST DSL. (I do not have  pre-existing REST-based web-service
components.)

Is there any reason/advantage to using camel-cxfrs or some other such
component that supports REST in such a scenario?

It appears to me that the Camel REST DSL is always the way to go unless one
has legacy reasons to use something else, but I'd appreciate someone telling
me if that's a wrong assumption. Also, is there a page somewhere on the
Camel site that would speak to this: i.e. the motivation of using one over
the other?

thanks

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by Brad Johnson <br...@mediadriver.com>.
I supposed that's a matter of preference. I've used CXF in blueprint and am
very comfortable with it.  I'll usually us a single bundle and commonly
setup up both SOAP and REST endpoints in there using annotated interfaces.
Then I'll use the operationName in a recipient list to route the requests
to the same bundle, whether SOAP or REST, and then deal with the logic in
there and return results.

I like that because it puts the set up of all security, REST/SOAP, etc. in
one place.  The data model/bean is then routed into Camel and that point
I'm free of any REST/SOAP concerns.

But I may like that simply because I've never used the REST DSL and don't
anticipate any immediate need for it.

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by DariusX <da...@gmail.com>.
Claus Ibsen-2 wrote

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Claus,
On 01/11/16 10:48, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> There are some JIRA tickets to integrate camel-cxf with rest-dsl.
> However this requires some changes in CXF to facilitate this.

It is not quite correct. As I pointed out at the time, while attaching
the initial patches to the relevant Camel issues, the initial POC (where
absolute HTTP addresses were used as far as I recall) was working, what
was missing was the good tests and the support for some other deployment
scenarios (Blueprint, etc).
> Some of the CXF committers from Talend said they would like to work on
> that, but they don't seem to had the time yet to work on this.

Not quite correct either (see above). Unfortunately, yes, finding time
to complete this project is a problem - it would require a full time one
or 2 weeks commitment at least and it is difficult to allocate such a
time...

My own opinion is it will be worth completing the REST-DSL over CXF-RS
project and the foundation (in the form of the initial patches) is
available.

Cheers, Sergey

> That said you can always code REST services using plain JAX-RS java
> code style also. Or if using Spring Boot then how they do it with
> their controllers.
>
> Camel in Action 2nd ed book has a full chapter on REST and various
> ways to use it with Camel.
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM, DariusX <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to expose some Camel routes via REST, and am considering using
>> the REST DSL. (I do not have  pre-existing REST-based web-service
>> components.)
>>
>> Is there any reason/advantage to using camel-cxfrs or some other such
>> component that supports REST in such a scenario?
>>
>> It appears to me that the Camel REST DSL is always the way to go unless one
>> has legacy reasons to use something else, but I'd appreciate someone telling
>> me if that's a wrong assumption. Also, is there a page somewhere on the
>> Camel site that would speak to this: i.e. the motivation of using one over
>> the other?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> --

Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Oh also camel-cxf with cxfrs is a bit to bloated with both WS and RS
mixed together. There is also a JIRA ticket to separate this and make
the dependencies smaller and leaner.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are some JIRA tickets to integrate camel-cxf with rest-dsl.
> However this requires some changes in CXF to facilitate this.
>
> Some of the CXF committers from Talend said they would like to work on
> that, but they don't seem to had the time yet to work on this.
>
> That said you can always code REST services using plain JAX-RS java
> code style also. Or if using Spring Boot then how they do it with
> their controllers.
>
> Camel in Action 2nd ed book has a full chapter on REST and various
> ways to use it with Camel.
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM, DariusX <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to expose some Camel routes via REST, and am considering using
>> the REST DSL. (I do not have  pre-existing REST-based web-service
>> components.)
>>
>> Is there any reason/advantage to using camel-cxfrs or some other such
>> component that supports REST in such a scenario?
>>
>> It appears to me that the Camel REST DSL is always the way to go unless one
>> has legacy reasons to use something else, but I'd appreciate someone telling
>> me if that's a wrong assumption. Also, is there a page somewhere on the
>> Camel site that would speak to this: i.e. the motivation of using one over
>> the other?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> --

> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
There are some JIRA tickets to integrate camel-cxf with rest-dsl.
However this requires some changes in CXF to facilitate this.

Some of the CXF committers from Talend said they would like to work on
that, but they don't seem to had the time yet to work on this.

That said you can always code REST services using plain JAX-RS java
code style also. Or if using Spring Boot then how they do it with
their controllers.

Camel in Action 2nd ed book has a full chapter on REST and various
ways to use it with Camel.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM, DariusX <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to expose some Camel routes via REST, and am considering using
> the REST DSL. (I do not have  pre-existing REST-based web-service
> components.)
>
> Is there any reason/advantage to using camel-cxfrs or some other such
> component that supports REST in such a scenario?
>
> It appears to me that the Camel REST DSL is always the way to go unless one
> has legacy reasons to use something else, but I'd appreciate someone telling
> me if that's a wrong assumption. Also, is there a page somewhere on the
> Camel site that would speak to this: i.e. the motivation of using one over
> the other?
>
> thanks

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 01/11/16 07:42, souciance wrote:
> I guess it strictly depends on your requirements. If the REST DSL satisfy
> your requirements and a POC shows it works for you it probably makes sense
> to use it. I am not sure if there is such a condition as to always use one
> above the other, unless off course the camel-cxfrs will be discontinued,
> which I haven't heard.
I don't think it will be discontinued

Cheers, Sergey

Re: Camel-REST vs Cxfrs