Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Kai Wörner <ka...@uni-hamburg.de> on 2003/09/05 10:40:14 UTC

Once again: getting to run 1.1

Hi again!

Many, many people on this list seem to have the same problem on getting
1.1 running from CVS, and so have I.

As far as I can see, most people get to the same point: Downloading from
CVS, building a .war file, placing it under webapps, all no problem.

Most people even happen to see the "this is an ugly debug tool"-page,
which SHOULD be the sign for a running Xindice-installation; yet they
can't access the database, neither from the servlet, not from anywhere.

With 1.0, I double-click the "startup.bat"-icon, Xindice fires up, and I
can use some frontend-tool like YAB or XMLDBGui and browse the database.

Guess I would want to do the same thing with my - presumably working -
installation of 1.1 under tomcat - what should I do?

YAB for example has the connection-string "xmldb:xindice:///db" for 1.0
- I guess I tried any suggestion from this list for 1.1, like:
xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db
xmldb:xindice://localhost:8888/db
xmldb:xindice://localhost:4080/db
http://localhost:8080/db
xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/xindice-1.1b2/db
etc.
where some of them simply don't make any sense.

In Java, I could simply feed DatabaseManager with strings like
xmldb:xindice:///db/, and anything would come out fine. After days and
days of trying, reading the list waiting for the right message, I'm
about to give it up.

Could someone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks,

Kai

Re: Once again: getting to run 1.1

Posted by Kevin O'Neill <ke...@apache.org>.
On 2003.09.05 21:43, Kai Wörner wrote:

>> If you're now using 1.1 as a servlet the paths to the DB change to
>> something like:
>>
>> xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/
>>

> YAB and Java (I'm trying it with the CreateCollection.java-example
> from http://xml.apache.org/xindice/guide-developer.html#N101B5) give
> me the same error:
>
> org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: A connection to the Database
> instance 'db' could not be created.
> Error: http://localhost:8080/db_bootstrap.ior
>
> The (decoded) .ior-file seems to read:
> _IIOP_ParseCDR:  byte order BigEndian, repository id <IDL:org/apache/
> xindice/client/corba/db/Database:1.0>, 1 profile
> _IIOP_ParseCDR:  profile 1 is 120 bytes, tag 0 (INTERNET), BigEndian
> byte order
> (iiop.c:parse_IIOP_Profile):  bo=BigEndian, version=1.2,
> hostname=wetzlar.multilingua.uni-hamburg.de, port=2054, object_key=<.
> OO.8..f....POA.k...>
> (iiop.c:parse_IIOP_Profile):  encoded object key is <%00OO%018?Þf÷%
> 00% 00%00POA%FEk?¯œ>
> (iiop.c:parse_IIOP_Profile):  non-native cinfo is <iiop_1_2_1_%2500OO
> %25018?Þf÷%2500%2500%2500POA% 25FEk?¯œ@tcp_wetzlar.multilingua.uni-
> hamburg.de_2054>
> object key is <#00OO#018#84#DEf#F7#00#00#00POA#FEk#8F#AF#BD>;
>  no trustworthy most-specific-type info; unrecognized ORB;
>  reachable with IIOP 1.2 at host "wetzlar.multilingua.uni-hamburg.
> de", port 2054

The corba client has been dropped in 1.1. You'll need to use xml-rpc
for remote access.

-k.

Re: Once again: getting to run 1.1

Posted by Kurt <ku...@comcast.net>.
or modify the xindice file and place quotes around the environment
variables....

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Kai Woerner <ka...@uni-hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Kai Woerner wrote:

> Thanks for the numerous answers!
>
> OK, CORBA is not in 1.1 anymore, I have to use
> org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.xmlrpc.DatabaseImpl in my Java, so
> that something like...
>
> <CODE>
>
> import org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager;
> import org.xmldb.api.base.Collection;
> import org.xmldb.api.base.Database;
> import org.xmldb.api.modules.CollectionManagementService;
>
> public class CreateCollection {
> public final static String URI = "xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/";
> (...)
> String driver = "org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.xmlrpc.DatabaseImpl";
> Class cl = Class.forName(driver);
> Database database = (Database) cl.newInstance();
> DatabaseManager.registerDatabase(database);
> Collection root = DatabaseManager.getCollection(URI + "/db");
> CollectionManagementService mgtService =(CollectionManagementService)
> root.getService("CollectionManagementService", "1.0");
> Collection col = mgtService.createCollection("acollection");
> (...)
>
> </CODE>
> ...should work.
>
> Since I don't seem to get _anything_ to work, could someone paste me
> some code that creates a collection in Xindice 1.1 under tomcat? Very,
> very simple, no bells & whistles, just create a collection under the
> root element. That would probably help a lot, since I now guess my
> problem might as well lie elsewhere.

Take a look at the test suite. Work like this:

1) cvs checkout xml-xindice
2) build
3) xindice start
4) build test

Test suite has lots of functionality, including creation and deletion of
numerous collections. It does this for xmlrpc, embed, and managed drivers.

Vadim

Re: Once again: getting to run 1.1

Posted by Kai Woerner <ka...@uni-hamburg.de>.

Posted by chasee <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Hi:
the ugly debug tool (browser) is a servlet for browsing the xindice dababases (by default /db).
So accesing this tool is of no difference to accessing any other servlets. The accessing path depends on your configeration for this servlet in web.xml in the WEB-INF dir.

Hope this somewhat clears it up.

JC Tchitchiama <jc...@panonet.net> wrote:

Hi All,
If you intend to use the Browsers ie Xindice-Browser or YAB on 1.1 ensure that
the browsers are built against 1.1 libraries and also that the driver used is

Posted by JC Tchitchiama <jc...@panonet.net>.
Hi All,

--

Best Regards.

JC.
           \\- - -//
          (  @ @  )
===oOOo-(_)-oOOo=================================================
      jct@panonet.net

Re: Once again: getting to run 1.1

Posted by Mario Cormier <mc...@miranda.com>.

Posted by Kai Wörner <ka...@uni-hamburg.de>.

Posted by g4 <ja...@root10.net>.
On Friday, Sep 5, 2003, at 09:40 Europe/London, Kai Wörner wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> Many, many people on this list seem to have the same problem on
> getting 1.1 running from CVS, and so have I.
>
> As far as I can see, most people get to the same point: Downloading
> from CVS, building a .war file, placing it under webapps, all no
> problem.
>
> Most people even happen to see the "this is an ugly debug tool"-page,
> which SHOULD be the sign for a running Xindice-installation; yet they
> can't access the database, neither from the servlet, not from > anywhere.

> With 1.0, I double-click the "startup.bat"-icon, Xindice fires up, and
> I can use some frontend-tool like YAB or XMLDBGui and browse the
> database.
>
> Guess I would want to do the same thing with my - presumably working -
> installation of 1.1 under tomcat - what should I do?

No 1.1 would now be controlled by Tomcat, it can be started or shutdown
from within the Tomcat manager

> YAB for example has the connection-string "xmldb:xindice:///db" for
> 1.0 - I guess I tried any suggestion from this list for 1.1, like:
> xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db
> xmldb:xindice://localhost:8888/db
> xmldb:xindice://localhost:4080/db
> http://localhost:8080/db
> xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/xindice-1.1b2/db
> etc.
> where some of them simply don't make any sense.

I think this may be a problem with YAB, not sure though ;(

> In Java, I could simply feed DatabaseManager with strings like
> xmldb:xindice:///db/, and anything would come out fine. After days and
> days of trying, reading the list waiting for the right message, I'm
> about to give it up.

If you're now using 1.1 as a servlet the paths to the DB change to
something like:

xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/

> Could someone please point me to the right direction?

read this link about the command line tools, I think this may help you:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?HowToXindice1o1bCocoon2

> Thanks,
>
> Kai

Jason Lane