Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2019/06/18 20:26:10 UTC

Detection of plain text files

Hi devs,

I’m trying to remember the history of how Tika’s current mime-type detection has evolved, regarding handling of plain text files.

Currently if I run a Shift-JIS encoded file through Tika (suffix is “.env”) it gets returned as application/octet-stream.

I thought that previously we had something which would check if the file only had tab/LF/CR bytes in the 0x00-0x1F range (so no other control chars besides these), and a reasonable number of line ending chars, and if so then we’d return text/plain instead of application/octet-stream

Thanks,

— Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
Custom big data solutions & training
Flink, Solr, Hadoop, Cascading & Cassandra

Re: Detection of plain text files

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
It seems reasonable to me.  I think this is likely going to open a can
of worms, but we should do better.  It'd be interesting to look at the
stats from tika-eval on the application/octet files in our regression
corpus and see if they are actually language-y...how often is this
happening?

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.