Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Sebastian Riemer <s....@littera.eu> on 2022/05/27 11:41:58 UTC

Solr Release Roadmap - any advice on when to upgrade from 8.11.1 to 9.x.x?

Hi,

I'm working out upgrade strategies for all the libraries and components we use and wonder what would be a good time to upgrade from 8.11.1 to 9.x.x? We use it in conjunction with SolrJ.

Currently running Solr 8.11.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 and Java 11.

Is there an official site which makes it clear how long each Major-Version is long-term-supported?

Thank you for your advice,

Sebastian

Re: Solr Release Roadmap - any advice on when to upgrade from 8.11.1 to 9.x.x?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/27/22 05:41, Sebastian Riemer wrote:

> I'm working out upgrade strategies for all the libraries and components we use and wonder what would be a good time to upgrade from 8.11.1 to 9.x.x? We use it in conjunction with SolrJ.
>
> Currently running Solr 8.11.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 and Java 11.
>
> Is there an official site which makes it clear how long each Major-Version is long-term-supported?

Solr 9 will receive primary focus for support until Solr 10 is
released.  Then it will be in maintenance mode, only receiving fixes for
major bugs, which includes security issues that do not have a
workaround.  Once Solr 11 is released, Solr 9 will be EOL.

I can't give you any dates for that, because Solr does not release on a
timetable.  A new release is created when one of the committers on the
project volunteers to take on the temporary role of Release Manager for
that version.

You can see the release cadence that has historically happened by
looking at the dates on the artifacts for each release:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/

For mission-critical systems, I personally would wait to upgrade from
8.x until Solr 9.2 or 9.3 is released -- the major bugs ought to be
fixed by then.  For a dev or testing environment, I would upgrade now.
On my personal Solr install that provides search for Dovecot, I have
already upgraded to 10.0.0-SNAPSHOT - built from the main development
branch.

Thanks,
Shawn