Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by janardhan adatravu <su...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/24 09:30:53 UTC

restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Hello,

We are looking for a situation in which certain users should not have read
permission to a particular folders.

Repo:

http://x.x.x.x/SVN/Repo/trunk

http://x.x.x.x/SVN/Repo/tags

http://x.x.x.x/SVN/Repo/branches

trunk

folder1/folder2/folder3/files

folder1/folder2/folder31/files

folder1/folder21/files

users: user1, user2, user3

user1 should have all access to all the folders

user2 should not have read access to /folder1/folder21, should have access
to all other folders.

user3 should not have read access to /folder1/folder2/folder31, should have
access to all other folders.

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks,

-Janardhan

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.
you have to replace folder1, folder2, folder3 name with correct names which
you have in your repository.

regards
Mohsin Abbas

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.
I supposed trunk folder have following hierarchy (means folder 1, folder 2 &
folder 3 are sub folders of trunk) :

trunk:
       folder1/folder2/folder3/files
       folder1/folder2/folder31/files
       folder1/folder21/files

I purposed solution for truck folder only means restriction need to be
applied at trunk level if branches or tags do have these folder 1 , folder 2
or folder 3 hierarchy too then branches and tags set of rules need to be
added too in auth file just like trunk .

Mohsin

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
On 25/10/14 19:52, Mohsin wrote:
> Please check this and let me know this should work for said requirement ?
>
> [Repo:/]
> user1 = rw
> user2 = rw
> user3 = rw
>
> [trunk:/trunk/folder1/folder21]
> user2 =
>
> [trunk:/trunk/folder1/folder2/folder31]
> user3 =

While the above would work for the trunk paths the user required this to
be enforced across copies (branches, tags) as well, at which point he
was directed to adjust his repository layout to support that or to make
the repository admins do their work.

Selective restrictions on paths that are sub-trees of the normal level
of working copies do not normally play well when using branching and
merging, especially when setting something to no access as a user would
have an incomplete view of the source tree. Path based authorization
does, however, work very well and is intended to being applied to
projects, branches and sub-modules.

Andreas

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
> On 25 Oct 2014, at 00:03, Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kindly add following lines in auth file for specific repository
> [folder1:/folder1]
> user1 = rw
> user2 = rw
> user3 = rw
>
> [folder1:/folder1/folder21]
> user2 =
>
> [folder1:/folder1/folder2/folder31]
> user3 =

You misunderstood the user's repository layout or the actual underlying problem.

> ; After that restart Apache

No, not required.

Andreas

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.
Kindly add following lines in auth file for specific repository ; After that
restart Apache this will work for you .

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM, janardhan adatravu
<su...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> This method needs more activity on SVN administrator side.
> for example  a branch/tag is created from a trunk, paths should be updated
> in authz file.
>
> Is there any other way to restrict certain users not to checkout particular
> folders?

Paths equate to folders...  Perhaps you need to reconsider your
concept of users with access to 'all other folders except ...' and
nail down what they are actually allowed to access.   Or rearrange the
paths where branches/tags are copied (these are mostly arbitrary,
after all) if your administrator can't keep up with your needs.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: restricting certain users to read a particular folders in the Repo

Posted by janardhan adatravu <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

This method needs more activity on SVN administrator side.
for example  a branch/tag is created from a trunk, paths should be updated
in authz file.

Is there any other way to restrict certain users not to checkout particular
folders?

thanks,
-Janardhan

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.