Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk> on 2005/03/02 09:19:10 UTC

CForms -Bind to 2 Separate Sources

Hi,

Help please
I wish to bind to a XML file to generate a form and then send the data
in the completed form to a database without updating the original XML
file. I can't work out how to extract the data from the completed form
so that I can update the database.

Thanks

Peter Sparkes

Re: CForms -Bind to 2 Separate Sources

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Have a look at [1], more specifically the direction attribute. In your
binding, you can specify where the data should be loaded from and where
the data should be saved to. So you load from your XML and you save to a
different bean that you then persist. Should be fairly straightforward I
believe.

Your question wasn't that clear though, hope i understood you right.

HTH
Jorg

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/forms/binding.html

Re: CForms -Bind to 2 Separate Sources -Solved

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.
Thanks for your help, its working now. I used  Jorg's bean method to
partially prepopulate a form with data from an XML file and save the
data from the completed form to XMLDB

Regards

Peter Sparkes

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
Hi Peter,

On Mar 2, 2005, at 12:19 AM, Peter Sparkes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Help please
> I wish to bind to a XML file to generate a form and then send the data
> in the completed form to a database without updating the original XML
> file. I can't work out how to extract the data from the completed form
> so that I can update the database.

I'm not quite sure I get the idea... is it to prepopulate a form from
XML data?

If so, here's how I would go about it:

	// Parse the XML into a bean.  This bean is really a kind of "Data
Transfer Object" (DTO).
	// 	.
	// 	.
	// 	.
	// then:
	//
	form.load  (theBean);
	form.showForm (whatever);
	form.save (theBean);
	//
	// Finally, pass the bean to your model layer which updates the
database.

HTH,
—ml—