Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by vamba <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/07 07:51:27 UTC

Not updating in DB

Hi ,
          I have recorded a script like login . and modify and save the data
and logout . now i have run the script . whats my query is when i run the
script the login and data saved should will  be upated in DB  or not ?

pl any 1 tel me the answer for this .or for me the script not shows any
error in view result tree...and its not updating in the DB

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
If your application works via the browser , and it doesnt work via jmeter
(for 1 thread) then the problem must be somewhere in the test right?

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by vamba <vi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Sigh.
This means that your test didnt work. It also means your test script is not
a very good one (i.e. when things dont work you dont come to know they
didnt work). This usually means you didnt create (good)assertions for your
samplers and usually also means you did a record -replay without looking at
what was recorded and what got replayed.

So the common causes are
a. Your application doesn't think you are logged in (so either your login
failed or you didnt add a cookie manager or you didnt pass session id
correctly).
b. Your application uses some parameters that are either dynamically named
or have values that change everytime and you didnt parameterise your test
script. To fix this you would need to first know what these parameters are
which needs you to understand what is being sent by the browser.
Alternately if you record the exact same script again , if some of the
values change from the previous script (or you record with a different
user) then you know which parameters are dynamic
c. You made a mistake and didnt pass in some parameters , or mistyped some
variable names or some url or missed a step or something. This needs you to
compare the browser request/response with jmeter's view results tree.

All of which are detected soon if you add good response assertions. When
you login , if your app returns a welcome username! or "sorry login failed"
check for that so that if it fails you know it,. if running a sampler that
creates something , and it gives some id that got created , assert that.
this way you know as soon as some sampler fails. You can disable some
assertions when you are sure your test works - but initially approach it as
if you were writing a functional test and assert everything you can.
Assertions are specific to your application and only you can know that.

regards
deepak

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag~Bonjour

If you are one user who is updating a Database with some variables like a,
b, c with 10, 20, 30 and if the DB is smart enough, it will see that the
same values already exist which you are trying to update and it will omit
the update until unless you specify in a flag like : Update Everytime = Y
or N

You might like to specify to the DB Community, details like:

Database Vendor, Version, Script, Data

:)
Deepak
   --
Keigu

Deepak
+91-9765089593
deicool@gmail.com
http://www.simtree.net

Skype: thumsupdeicool
Google talk: deicool
Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org
"

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by vamba <vi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not updating in DB

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

I think the problem might be is the data has been already been run by
previous updates. So the query ignores updating the identical data.
You might like to elicit the script which you are running.

Deepak
www.simtree.net