Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2014/10/10 09:50:38 UTC

[NOTICE] Potential memory leak issue with Oracle/SUN JVM <= 1.7.0_40

Hi all,

I analysed an issue that an user faced, and I found a potential memory
leak issue related to the JVM version in use.

Basically, I saw the problem on the following environment:
- OS: Linux RHEL 64 bits (the problem can affect any platform)
- JVM Oracle/SUN 1.7.0_25 (default Karaf settings)
- Karaf 2.3.x (the problem can affect any Karaf version)
- Camel 2.12.x (the problem can affect any Camel version)

I reproduced the problem with a simple route:

from("timer:fire?period=100").setBody(constant("Hello
World")).log("my.logger")

I took some heapdumps (baseline) and I can see:

193309 instances of class org.apache.log4j.spi.LocationInfo
193308 instances of class org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent
193308 instances of class
org.ops4j.pax.logging.service.internal.PaxLoggingEventImpl

and still increasing up to crash the JVM with OOM (related to .log() EIP).

I upgraded to JVM Oracle/Sun 1.7.0_67 and the problem has gone.

I suspect to be related to the following bug:
http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8027456

I strongly encourage all users to upgrade to 1.7.0_67 if they use a
version lower and equal to 1.7.0_40.

Regards
JB
--