Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com> on 2011/07/26 04:55:52 UTC

[vote] Submit a motion to the ASF board to exempt Apache::* from the official release process

Getting the releases out for our sub distributions such as
Apache::Reload,Apache::SizeLimit,Apache::DBI has been a challenge.
With our current release processes, we need twelve +1 votes (3 for
core, 3 for AT/ASL/AR) to release a version of mod_perl with Apache::*
changes, whereas most ASF projects may only need three +1 votes to
release a new version.  We need this exemption since those modules are
under the ASF license.

We have enough feedback from httpd core during Apache::Test releases
that I think we can still go with the standard release process.  But
this motion I propose to submit would exempt said modules from those
official release process needs.

Please vote!

Text of proposed motion:

'The mod_perl PMC petitions the ASF board to exempt the
Apache::Sizelimit, Apache::Reload, Apache::DBI, and Apache::Reload
modules to skip over the normal release rules governing ASF project
releases and be released directly to CPAN.  With the large number of
sub-projects the mod_perl project has spawned, the number of votes to
do a major mod_perl release can reach 12, which is 4x as much as some
other ASF projects.  Apache::Test continues to have participation from
httpd core members, and as such is consistently able to get enough
votes for releases, and does not need this exemption.'

Re: [vote] Submit a motion to the ASF board to exempt Apache::* from the official release process

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
I'm hoping the message it will send is that the sub-releases of
Apache::* were successful enough that they have outgrown the core
mod_perl project.  Our problem has not become a lack of votes, it has
become a large increase in the number of needed votes.

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Philippe M. Chiasson <go...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am preparing the report for the board, and I need to have it ready in
> 1-2 days, so let's just make sure we are happy with Fred's text (below)
> and I'll submit it to the board.

Saw this got into the report.  Any feedback from the board?

Re: [vote] Submit a motion to the ASF board to exempt Apache::* from the official release process

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Philippe M. Chiasson <go...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11-07-28 00:05 , Fred Moyer wrote:
>> +1 here.  I took a long at some of the other ASF projects today.
>> Lucene has 2 major subprojects (solr and lucene), and their PMC
>> probably 2-3 times as big as ours.
>
> +1 here too, making the release process itself easier/faster is always a
> good IMO.
>
> Does rise the question of whether we should even package these modules
> in the release itself, or just release them separately.

If modules are like cats, trying to package them in the release has
felt like herding cats.  Bundling them together adds a small
convenience for the users, but is cumbersome on the release side.
Initially when I took on the 2.0.5 release I thought it could be done
without too much pain, but it takes resources which I think are better
allocated elsewhere.

> I am preparing the report for the board, and I need to have it ready in
> 1-2 days, so let's just make sure we are happy with Fred's text (below)
> and I'll submit it to the board.

Thanks for following up with this!

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.