Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/08 21:22:54 UTC

Next version of Flex SDK

We have a pretty big release coming up [1].  I am wondering if it is time
to bump up the version number to 5?

As an alternative, we could simply drop the '4' from 4.14.0 and simple
start versioning our releases as 14, 15, etc.

Technically, we need to make sure that either option would work with IDEs
(especially Flash Builder) and our own version checking logic in the SDK.

Any thoughts on either of these suggestions?

Thanks,
Om

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/RELEASE_NOTES

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback, folks.  So, 4.14.0, it is :-)

Thanks,
Om

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
+1 with that Peter

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I’m not a big fan of xx.xx.xx.xx, but I do not see why it should go from 4 to 5. The stability of the major version number in Flex is well grounded.

I’d vote to just make it 4.15 and keep upping the minor number with each release. The only reason to make a 4.15.1 release (or the like) would be for a hot fix of a problematic release.

Harbs

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Chris Martin <ch...@outlook.com>.
Just a thought.  I do worry that there may be many companies that have invested in Flash Builder projects who are traditionally slow to move.  If we do something to "no longer support Flash Builder", I think we should plan out when that would happen to give the community a chance to switch IDEs.  Of course, even if we did, there will be people out there that missed the note and will get bit my us making a change in the SDK that breaks that IDE.  So it'd be really more of a "best efforts" sort of thing :)

I spent some time looking for something in the dev-incubator archive list regarding a requirement for the  major version of the SDK be "4" and haven't found anything.  It did seem we spent some time looking into possibly having Apache Flex 2012.0 as the initial version [1], which would suggest to me that maybe we didn't need to worry about keeping the "4" as the major version number.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/kuy6farnrqyd5sb3#query:+page:1+mid:axrwwcui25qqa2sj+state:results

Chris

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Very true, indeed, but.... does that mean that from version 5 onwards, FB won't work anymore? Would we have to buy (or hire) another IDE?

Dany

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Jesse Nicholson <as...@gmail.com>.

--
Jesse Nicholson

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
One thing that altering the major version number is the publicity and
public perception that would come from it.  Sure, it's just a number, but
according to the Apache rules, we can put out a bonafide press-release that
gets pushed out all the PR channels.  Also, with a major version number the
public will finally see a real "Apache" release, and not the /perception/
of us simply maintaining Adobe's releases.

I don't know -- at this point I can't recommend anybody actually use FB for
major projects anymore.  As much as I've tried, I can't keep it stable
enough to actually use for any length of time.  Almost all the wizards are
broken, they've removed the only compelling feature of the product in 4.7
(DV), and it's compatibility with the newer components we've been putting
out has been lacking.

-Nick

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
AFAIK Builder still gets updates. The Adobe white paper has a commitment
to make it continue to work with Apache Flex.

We shouldn't break (any) 3rd party products if we can avoid doing so.
Chris' point is also valid about companies being slow to move
development platforms, and we'd probably trap them into using the last
4.x 'forever'.

And there's no need to bump the major part of a version number. Look at
Java 1.8 ;-)

Tom

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
I thought so too.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

wrote:

> We have a pretty big release coming up [1].  I am wondering if it is time
> to bump up the version number to 5?
>
> As an alternative, we could simply drop the '4' from 4.14.0 and simple
> start versioning our releases as 14, 15, etc.
>
> Technically, we need to make sure that either option would work with IDEs
> (especially Flash Builder) and our own version checking logic in the SDK.
>
> Any thoughts on either of these suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/RELEASE_NOTES

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Om,

Despite there are a lot (and it is very relative) bugs fixed, I can't see a good reason why we should go to 5.x, I would even stick on 4.14.x to keep a maximum of amplitude in case big things happen but I'm open to hear why we would go to 4.15.0

Thanks,
Frédéric THOMAS

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Jesse Nicholson <as...@gmail.com>.
I know I'm just some bro on the list here but I'd agree. I don't think you
want to turn the SDK into firefox/chrome, where every time they push the
build button it goes up a full revision. In a month we'll all be browsing
with firefox/chrome 135.

wrote:

> Hi
>
> IMO, updating version number from 4 to 5 (or 14 to 15) should be saved for
> major changes (think halo to spark). New releases that only contain a few
> new features and bug fixes should be relegated to 0.1 numbers.
>
> As for changing the system, my feeling is if it isnt broken dont fix it...
> we risk confusion for new users with similarly numbered but unconnected
> AIR/Flash player versions and 'copying' Adobe could hurt perceptions of our
> independence.
>
> Lee Burrows
> ActionScripter
>

> On 08/12/2014 20:22, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
>
>> We have a pretty big release coming up [1].  I am wondering if it is time
>> to bump up the version number to 5?
>>
>> As an alternative, we could simply drop the '4' from 4.14.0 and simple
>> start versioning our releases as 14, 15, etc.
>>
>> Technically, we need to make sure that either option would work with IDEs
>> (especially Flash Builder) and our own version checking logic in the SDK.
>>
>> Any thoughts on either of these suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Om
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/RELEASE_NOTES

--
Jesse Nicholson

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Hi

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM, jude <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > >That being said -- I wonder what people's opinions are for what
> > >(obtainable) goals we could make so we can make a 5.0 release.  I think
> > >it's about due, and it would generate press and mindshare coming up
> with a
> > >major release.  I think we have a LOT of changes that we've made since
> the
> > >4.6 release from Adobe, and pushing out a major release would help us
> > >break
> > >away from the "just maintaining Adobe's software" mentality that I've
> been
> > >seeing out in the industry.
> >
> > IMO, FlexJS will help us break away from the “maintaining Adobe”
> mentality
> > because it also removes the dependency on the Adobe runtimes.  I don’t
> > currently envision calling FlexJS "Flex 5".  IMO, one possible definition
> > of Flex 5 could be adding enough new Spark components that folks don’t
> > need to fall back to MX anymore.
> >
> > -Alex
> >

> +1
>
> A shift to all Spark component set would be a major milestone as well as a
> FlexJS release.

Here is a list of missing spark components if someone wants to work on
them:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Missing+Spark+Components

Thanks,
Om

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
FTR, I checked the archives.  I only found that FB didn’t like versions <
4.  No idea what will happen if we try 5, 2015, etc.

On 12/9/14, 11:04 AM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

>I think for this version, we should stick to being in the 4.x numbering
>scheme.  We don't really have that many changes to warrant a major release
>(although we do have some pretty nice changes that I'm excited to see
>published!)

+1

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Next version of Flex SDK

Posted by Bruce Gardner <br...@spoutsoftware.com>.
I'm wondering how close you are to having a version ready for committed
development.

Please let me know.

Thanks!