Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurence Smith <ls...@msxi-euro.com> on 2004/03/30 11:47:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Service Log on and network resources

We have recently tried to update apache on our production server to apache
2.0.49. We are running Windows 2000 server as the OS.

However we ran into a few problems when rebooting the server. Apache is
configured to have multiple virtual directories to our image file server eg/

Alias /imagesRoot/FFECSC01/ "//IP_ADDRESS/SHARE_NAME/"
<Directory "//IP_ADDRESS/SHARE_NAME/">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

The only thing is that this is a netapps file server and as such, the apache
service needs to be running as a specific user to access this. If it is not
then it quite rightly moans and fails to start because it cannot see the given
directory/share.

When apache is run as a service and the logon property of the service is set to
the correct account and password the service starts quite happily. The user
being used is a local user to the server and is not registered on any domain.
It just needs to pass the correct username and password to the file server when
connecting.

However even though the service is set to start up automatically it fails.
Giving the same message it would give had it tried to start as a non-privileged
user (or local system account).

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? I am not too hot on NT
security stuff and our systems guys barely know the difference apache and the
southwestern American Indians of the same name (unbelievable as that is:).

So it is left to me (the developer). To me it appears on the surface to be a
bug in apache in that for some reason it is trying to start the server or
perhaps running a verification of the config file (prior to starting) as a
different user. However I may be wrong and it could be NT permissions.

I have verified that permissions which seem to be correct for that particular
user. However the service starts when done manually which is so frustrating.

Any body got any ideas, I make thinking that I can get some exe NT service
wrapper and use that to start apache. As this is the only solution I can see.

Thanks in advance.

Laurence