Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2000/12/29 06:46:21 UTC

[Xerces2] Survey

Well, the holidays have slowed everything down so I think that
now is a good time to take a survey from the Xerces community
about Xerces2. So, if you have the time, please respond to this
message with your responses.

XERCES2 SURVEY

Section 1: Usage

1) What parser are you using in your application? Select one
   parser by putting an 'X' in the box next to your choice. If
   you have a hybrid application that uses more than one parser,
   select the most important parser for your application.

   [ ] Xerces 1.x
   [ ] Xerces 1.x packaged with Xalan
   [ ] Xerces 2.x
   [ ] XML4J 1.x/2.x
   [ ] Crimson
   [ ] _________________________

2) If you did NOT select Xerces in question 1, what were your
   reasons for not using Xerces in your application? Select all
   that apply.

   [ ] Standards compliance
   [ ] Performance: speed
   [ ] Performance: memory usage
   [ ] Size of parser
   [ ] Specialized API (What features?)
   [ ] License
   [ ] _________________________

3) If you DID select Xerces in question 1, what were your
   reasons for using Xerces in your application? Select all
   that apply.

   [ ] Standards compliance
   [ ] Performance: speed
   [ ] Performance: memory usage
   [ ] Size of parser
   [ ] Specialized API (What features?)
   [ ] License
   [ ] _________________________

Section 2: Xerces2

4) What is your level of knowledge of Xerces2? Select all
   that apply.

   [ ] Followed the Xerces2 discussion on the mailing list
   [ ] Read the online documentation located at
       http://www.apache.org/~andyc/xerces2/
   [ ] Reviewed the Xerces Native Interface (XNI)
   [ ] Downloaded Xerces 2.0.0 (alpha) or extracted and built
       the source from CVS
   [ ] Tried Xerces2 in an application

5) If you have heard of Xerces2 but have NOT tried it, what
   would you say is the primary reason? Select only one answer.

   [ ] Current parser works fine
   [ ] No time to try
   [ ] _________________________

6) Despite your current use of Xerces2, do you plan on moving
   your application to using Xerces2 when a production version
   becomes available? Select only one answer.

   [ ] Yes
   [ ] Wait and see
   [ ] No

7) If you have reviewed XNI, what is your impression? Select
   only one answer.

   [ ] Love it
   [ ] Like it
   [ ] Could be better
   [ ] Hate it
   [ ] Don't care

8) If you answered "Could be better" or "Hate it" to question
   6, what suggestions do you have? Please site specific
   interfaces, methods, etc.

9) Do you plan on contributing to Xerces2? In what way?

   [ ] Yes
       [ ] Source
       [ ] Samples
       [ ] Documentation
       [ ] Build/Testing
   [ ] No

Section 3: Wish List

10) What are the features that you would like to see implemented
    in Xerces2? Rank the three most important to you by putting
    a '1', '2', and '3' in the boxes next to your choices, where
    '1' is the most important and '3' is the least important
    among your choices.

    [ ] Grammar access
    [ ] Grammar caching
    [ ] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to
        a document after parsing. For example, validate a DOM
        tree after editing
    [ ] _________________________
    [ ] _________________________
    [ ] _________________________

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Frank Griffin <ft...@ntplx.net>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Mark Diekhans <ma...@lutris.com>.
XERCES2 SURVEY

Section 1: Usage

1) What parser are you using in your application? Select one
   parser by putting an 'X' in the box next to your choice. If
   you have a hybrid application that uses more than one parser,
   select the most important parser for your application.

   [X] Xerces 1.x
[...]

   [X] Specialized API (What features?)
       - Access to DTD information not available in standard DOM/SAX API
   [X] License
   [ ] _________________________

[...]

      Will contribute test cases based on anything discovered while
      porting our software along with patches for any problems
      discovered and fixed.
   [ ] No

Section 3: Wish List

10) What are the features that you would like to see implemented
    in Xerces2? Rank the three most important to you by putting
    a '1', '2', and '3' in the boxes next to your choices, where
    '1' is the most important and '3' is the least important
    among your choices.

    [ ] Grammar access
    [ ] Grammar caching
    [ ] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to
        a document after parsing. For example, validate a DOM
        tree after editing
    [1] Full access to document structure:
             - entity references in attribute values
             - conditional sections

    [ ] _________________________
    [ ] _________________________

Keep up the fantastic work!

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Jason Harrop <jh...@bigpond.net.au>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> [...]
>    6, what suggestions do you have? Please site specific
>    interfaces, methods, etc.
>
> 9) Do you plan on contributing to Xerces2? In what way?
>
>    [ ] Yes
>        [ ] Source
>        [ ] Samples
>        [ ] Documentation
>        [ ] Build/Testing
>    [X] No
>
> Section 3: Wish List
>
> 10) What are the features that you would like to see implemented
>     in Xerces2? Rank the three most important to you by putting
>     a '1', '2', and '3' in the boxes next to your choices, where
>     '1' is the most important and '3' is the least important
>     among your choices.
>
>     [2] Grammar access
>     [3] Grammar caching
>     [1] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to
>         a document after parsing. For example, validate a DOM

Tom Bradford
Founder & Chief Architect
The dbXML Group, L.L.C.
http://www.dbxmlgroup.com

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Petr Kuzel <Pe...@netbeans.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Well, the holidays have slowed everything down so I think that
> now is a good time to take a survey from the Xerces community
> about Xerces2. So, if you have the time, please respond to this
> message with your responses.
>
> XERCES2 SURVEY
>
> Section 1: Usage
>
> 1) What parser are you using in your application? Select one
>    parser by putting an 'X' in the box next to your choice. If
>    you have a hybrid application that uses more than one parser,
>    select the most important parser for your application.
>
>    [ ] Xerces 1.x
>    [ ] Xerces 1.x packaged with Xalan
>    [ ] Xerces 2.x
>    [ ] XML4J 1.x/2.x
>    [ ] Crimson
>    [X] own parser (patched Crimson)
>
> 2) If you did NOT select Xerces in question 1, what were your
>    reasons for not using Xerces in your application? Select all
>    that apply.
>
>    [ ] Standards compliance
>    [ ] Performance: speed
>    [ ] Performance: memory usage
>    [ ] Size of parser
>    [X] Specialized API (What features?)
         all Crimson extensions to SAX plus
         entity ref., declaration, ... notifications
         simply trying to achieve round trip:
           text -> internal structure -> "same" text
>    [ ] License
>    [X] We need to do a code customization
>
> 3) If you DID select Xerces in question 1, what were your
>    reasons for using Xerces in your application? Select all
>    that apply.
>
>    [ ] Standards compliance
>    [ ] Performance: speed
>    [ ] Performance: memory usage
>    [ ] Size of parser
>    [ ] Specialized API (What features?)
>    [ ] License
>    [ ] _________________________
>
> Section 2: Xerces2
>
> 4) What is your level of knowledge of Xerces2? Select all
>    that apply.
>
>    [X] Followed the Xerces2 discussion on the mailing list
>    [X] Read the online documentation located at
>        http://www.apache.org/~andyc/xerces2/
>    [X] Reviewed the Xerces Native Interface (XNI)
>    [X] Downloaded Xerces 2.0.0 (alpha) or extracted and built
>        the source from CVS
>    [X] Tried Xerces2 in an application
>
> 5) If you have heard of Xerces2 but have NOT tried it, what
>    would you say is the primary reason? Select only one answer.
>
>    [ ] Current parser works fine
>    [ ] No time to try
>    [ ] _________________________
>
> 6) Despite your current use of Xerces2, do you plan on moving
>    your application to using Xerces2 when a production version
>    becomes available? Select only one answer.
>
>    [X] Yes
>    [ ] Wait and see
>    [ ] No
>
> 7) If you have reviewed XNI, what is your impression? Select
>    only one answer.
>
>    [ ] Love it
>    [ ] Like it
>    [X] Could be better
>    [ ] Hate it
>    [ ] Don't care
>
> 8) If you answered "Could be better" or "Hate it" to question
>    6, what suggestions do you have? Please site specific
>    interfaces, methods, etc.

     some notification methods missing. E.g. in
     conditional section would be an application
     notified about its content by say a String
     representing it.

     public void ignoredConditionalContent(String);

> 9) Do you plan on contributing to Xerces2? In what way?
>
>    [X] Yes
>        [ ] Source
>        [ ] Samples
>        [ ] Documentation
>        [ ] Build/Testing
>    [ ] No
>
> Section 3: Wish List
>
> 10) What are the features that you would like to see implemented
>     in Xerces2? Rank the three most important to you by putting
>     a '1', '2', and '3' in the boxes next to your choices, where
>     '1' is the most important and '3' is the least important
>     among your choices.
>
>     [ ] Grammar access
>     [ ] Grammar caching
>     [ ] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to
>         a document after parsing. For example, validate a DOM
>         tree after editing
>     [1] Package versioning compatability
>     [2] XNI improvement and standartization
>     [ ] _________________________

  Ccc

--
<address>
: <a href="http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/ie/">Forte Tools</a>

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Petr Kuzel <Pe...@netbeans.com>.
Libor Kramolis wrote:

> [...]
> >     a '1', '2', and '3' in the boxes next to your choices, where
> >     '1' is the most important and '3' is the least important
> >     among your choices.
> >
> >     [2] Grammar access
> >     [ ] Grammar caching
> >     [3] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to
> >         a document after parsing. For example, validate a DOM
> >         tree after editing
>
> But this should not be DOM oriented. It should be able to validate any
> (own) tree structure, so to be able to validate String or Xerces
> internal objects.
>

> >     [1] Full structure access: to be able to get information about all structure items, about all items in parsed file (including positions in file). e.g. all references (character references too), ignored conditional section content, attribute value delimiters (' or "), that attribute is specified in dtd, etc.

  It would allow to use it in two-way applications. I.e. applications
where data are manipulated as text and via a UI (contemporary can be known
from form editors, UML modeling tools, etc. efforts) without information
losing.

Re: Loading DTD

Posted by Christopher Lambrou <Ch...@msdw.com>.
Bill,

you may use the EntityResolver class to specify the DTD in flight.
This can also help you cache the DTD in memory, which we have found to
speed things up by 10 fold.

Steps:
1. Open the DTD as a regular file and create an org.xml.sax.InputSource object from it
2. Setup an class that implements EntityResolver.  In that class, method resolveEntity is
called whenever the parser is looking for your DTD.  Change it right then to the cached
org.xml.sax.InputSource (from #1)
public InputSource resolveEntity (String publicId, String systemId) {
    return myCachedInputSource;
}

You will have to register your EntityResolver before you parse your XML  doc, ie:

    MyDTDResolver entityResolver = new MyDTDResolver();
    m_parser = new DOMParser();
    m_parser.setEntityResolver(entityResolver);

HTH

--
Christopher Lambrou
Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co.

Posted by Bill Lynch <bi...@coolservlets.com>.
All,

4charity.com                        blynch@4charity.com
CoolServlets.com                  bill@coolservlets.com

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Richard Murphy <rm...@hbs.edu>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Libor Kramolis <li...@netbeans.com>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Sebastien Ponce <se...@cern.ch>.

RE: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Dennis Thrysoe <dt...@netnord.dk>.

RE: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by rsanford <rs...@nolimitsystems.com>.

Re: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Ramesh Gupta <ra...@eNode.com>.

RE: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Philip Hepner <ph...@biziworks.com.au>.

[...]

    [X] Grammar access
    [X] Grammar caching
    [X] Write validation: the ability to apply a grammar to

RE: [Xerces2] Survey

Posted by Jean-Charles DUFOUR <jc...@ifrance.com>.

[...]

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif