Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2002/05/27 09:12:19 UTC

xmlParserAPI.jar verses xml-apis.jar from Xalan J

Hi,

I'm just recently subscribed to this list so I'm not sure if this has
been discussed before now. Just point me in the right direction if that
is the case.

At the moment we are preparing the next release of Ant (1.5). Previous
versions of Ant bundled either the RI of JAXP from Sun or more recently
Crimson. For the next version we have decided to move over to Xerces 2.
Right now we are bundling xercesImpl.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar.

This causes a problem. Many users of Ant use Xalan and it is not clear
how to proceed when adding Xalan to Ant. Should they just add
xml-apis.jar or should they replace xmlParserAPIs.jar

We have now run into this issue ourselves since some new code in Ant's
codebase requires interfaces which were present in jaxp.jar but are not
present in xmlParserAPIs.jar.

I had a quick look at the xmlParserAPIs.jar and the xml-apis.jar. I was
hoping that the latter was a superset but there appear to be two classes
in xmlParserAPIs which are not present:
   Only in temp2/org/w3c/dom/html: HTMLDOMImplementation.class
   Only in temp2/org/xml/sax/helpers: NewInstance.class

So, I'm concerned that using the xml-apis.jar in place of xmlParserAPIs
would break Xerces in some non-obvious way.

Having both jars is also somewhat concerning due to their obvious overlap.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Conor