Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Roberto Amorim <ro...@edsonqueiroz.com.br> on 2003/04/16 14:17:26 UTC

Re: Why validate on the server side and not on the client side us ing JavaScript???? help

IMHO you can include some validation in client side to increase
performance, some validations like not null attributes are easily
detected in client side and you wouldn't need submit a page to check
these problems. But, you should repeat that validations in server side too.
Regards
Roberto

RE: client- vs. server-side validation

Posted by Robert Sartin <sa...@navanax.org>.
--- Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com> wrote:
> validation. No user turns off JavaScript anymore and, in fact, I
> doubt there are more than a handful of developers on this list that
> even knows HOW to turn it off in IE 6.0.

This is simply not true. I know a lot of non-developer users (primarily
people with limited vision or mobility, but also others) who routinely
disable JavaScript. I (a developer) usually run with JavaScript turned
off in IE 6.

Regards,

Rob

RE: client- vs. server-side validation

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.
This is a perennial issue on this list and has evoked more than a couple of
religious wars.  The best practice is to use both client- and server-side
validation. No user turns off JavaScript anymore and, in fact, I doubt there
are more than a handful of developers on this list that even knows HOW to
turn it off in IE 6.0.  In short, both have there advantages and
disadvantages and are not mutually exclusive.  Further, judging from the
number of questions regarding the Struts Validator (see archive),
client-side validation may be necessary; on my last gig I wrote my own
server-side validator because I couldn't get Validator to work properly.

Mark