Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2012/02/04 12:55:32 UTC

Reviewing a Release

Hi folks!

I've quickly collected a page of things to check before casting your vote for a staged release.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Reviewing+a+Release

This was done from the back of my head, thus I've maybe missed some parts. Just wondered if we don't have such a checklist somewhere for general incubator projects?

Feel free to add anything missing or point me to a location where this already got collected.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Re: Reviewing a Release

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:48 PM, David Crossley wrote:

> Mark Struberg wrote:
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> I've quickly collected a page of things to check before casting your vote for a staged release.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Reviewing+a+Release
>>
>> This was done from the back of my head, thus I've maybe missed some parts. Just wondered if we don't have such a checklist somewhere for general incubator projects?
>>
>> Feel free to add anything missing or point me to a location where this already got collected.
>
> That legal link is wrong, see the top of that doc.
>
> Follow http://apache.org/dev/#licenses
> to the third point:
> http://apache.org/legal/#dev-links
> then "Previously Asked Questions".
>
> And http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

This page is marked as a "Draft" - how close is it to being "Final"?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Reviewing a Release

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi!

Thanks for the link
> And http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

Seems like this is work in progress as well, as lots of the lines are boldly marked as TODO ...

> That legal link is wrong, see the top of that doc.

I don't think so! The link you posted is valid as well, but it doesn't cover the list of licenses we already checked.

For this kind of stuff I really prefer this link:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

This sums up the important stuff really good, like the Category A, B and X stuff. It also explains the 'what' and 'why' much better than the official 'resolved' page it links to:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Of course, adding all 3 links would be the best I think.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Reviewing a Release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Reviewing a Release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 February 2012 11:55, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I've quickly collected a page of things to check before casting your vote for a staged release.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Reviewing+a+Release
>
> This was done from the back of my head, thus I've maybe missed some parts. Just wondered if we don't have such a checklist somewhere for general incubator projects?
>
> Feel free to add anything missing or point me to a location where this already got collected.

Not entirely sure what this means:

"if there is a tag in the SCM, does it contain reproduceable sources?"

I would say instead that:

"is there an SVN tag which was used to derive the source archive?"
"do all the files in the source archive agree with the files in the
SVN tag?" [*]

This is to ensure that the source archive itself can be re-created.
Also that it is built from traceable sources (and does not include
file(s) that happen to be on the RMs system).
It's a lot easier to trace provenance through SVN history.
The podling should ensure that files committed to SVN are checked for
compliance with IP and licensing.
Provided source archives are only created from SVN then there is no
need to separately check each file in each source archive for
compliance.

[*] Not all SVN files need to be in the source archive, e.g. DOAPs
aren't needed in source releases, but all files in the source archive
must derive from the SVN tag.