Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Denitsa Burroughs <de...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/04 17:05:49 UTC

Re: Getting started on CouchDB 3.0, and an introduction

Hi all!

Hope everyone has had a good couple of weeks. I wanted to follow up on the
desired/planned content for 3.0. So far, I have:

   - #1534 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1534>, required
      - #1523 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1523>, Joan
      - #1524 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1524>, Jan
      - *Docs:*
         - couch_btree developer docs, Chintan - is there an open issue or
         a PR for this?

Are there any other issues/bug fixes/doc changes that are in progress
and/or in plan for 3.0 that I should be tracking? Please respond with your
list(s) and projected time frames.

Thank you!

Deni

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Thanks Deni!

When it comes to deprecating and/or removing functionality, I feel like I don’t know exactly where we stand today. We have occasionally described some of the CouchApp functionality as already being deprecated, but I’m having trouble finding any official record of that in our documentation.

I think at this juncture I would like to avoid making lots of wholesale code changes on master to remove any functionality in time for 3.0. It just increases the chances that we introduce some unexpected bug in a different bit of functionality. I think it’d be good if we could land 3.0 with

1. Clear identification of any deprecated functionality in the docs
2. Any functionality that we are actually eliminating should be removed from the docs, and perhaps the basic URL endpoints should also be removed.

I guess let’s start with: does anyone believe we are in a position to be eliminating previously-deprecated functionality in 3.0?

Adam

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Deni,

> On 4. Sep 2019, at 19:05, Denitsa Burroughs <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Hope everyone has had a good couple of weeks. I wanted to follow up on the
> desired/planned content for 3.0. So far, I have:
>
>   - #1534 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1534>, required
>      - #1523 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1523>, Joan
>      - #1524 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1524>, Jan

I’m making slow and steady progress here, but I can’t yet promise a final date. I know I’ll have some spare time for this at the beginning of October the latest. I think at that point, I’ll have a PR prepared that is worth reviewing by the larger dev team.

Best
Jan
—

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Deni,

On 2019-09-04 13:05, Denitsa Burroughs wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Hope everyone has had a good couple of weeks. I wanted to follow up on the
> desired/planned content for 3.0. So far, I have:
>
>    - #1534 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1534>, required
>       - #1523 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1523>, Joan
>       - #1524 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1524>, Jan

I am now travelling for the next 2 weeks, mostly on Apache Software
Foundation business. I'm hoping to have time to work on this during my
down time (plane flights, evenings, etc.)

My WIP branch is here, and I've put an explanation as to where I'm at:

  https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/2092

If someone wants to help, please say something before you do, so I don't
duplicate effort.

Thanks!