Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Matt Doran <ma...@papercut.com> on 2010/03/28 09:06:01 UTC

Implementing custom bind/authentication for custom partition

Hi there,

I need to implement custom authentication, often delegating to another
system to provide the authentication (e.g. to check username/password).
In order to achieve this I've had to change the list of "Authenticators"
implementing my own "simple" authentication implementation with the
AuthenticationInterceptor.   I.e. to remove the SimpleAuthenticator and
replace it with my own.

I'm currently using 1.5.5, because the sample for the custom partition
is for 1.5.5, and needs to be updated for 1.5.6.

I've got it kind of working, but it just doesn't feel right.     For
example, I've completely overridden the simple authentication for the
whole server, instead of just my partition.   The SimpleAuthenticator is
not designed to be extended.   Maybe the "authenticate()" method could
be a bit to allow subclasses to change the implementation based on the
requested bind DN?

Or maybe I'm completely missing something, and looking in the wrong
place.  Is this the best way to implement my own authentication?

Regards,
Matt