Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM> on 2000/09/01 02:38:33 UTC

JDK 1.1 and Images

I have been looking at getting FOP to work with JDK 1.1. To do this it is
obvious that some functionality will not be able to be supported under JDK
1.1 due to extensive reliance on JDK 1.2 features (AWTRenderer). It does
seem that "core" functionality should be able to be supported. One area that
I would like to consider "core" functionality (because I need it) is images.
The problem here is that GifJpegImage and JimiImage use JDK 1.2 transparency
functions (ColorModel.hasAlpha(), ColorModel.getTransparency(), etc). It
appears to me that these functions could be removed from the aforementioned
classes and transparency support maintained with perhaps a performance
degradation in the case where hasAlpha() returns false (no transparency) and
the ColorModel is an instance of IndexedColorModel. I propose that we make
this change in the interest of supporting images under JDK 1.1. The other
obvious alternative is to create parallel classes for JDK 1.1 and 1.2 and
have separate builds (YUCK!) or have the appropriate class loaded at runtime
(mildly unappealing due to multiple source files).

Perhaps someone more familiar with Java images than myself can come up with
another alternative.

What does the FOP community think about this?

Attached is GifJpegImage.java as I would propose changing it.

Thank You,
Art

 <<GifJpegImage.java>>

Re: JDK 1.1 and Images

Posted by H Tchepannou <ht...@videotron.ca>.
How to get the source of the RTF renderer and join the RTF devellopement
team?
Im really interested

On Sat, 02 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> At 05:00 PM 9/1/00 -0400, H Tchepannou wrote:
> >Hi all
> >I've just discover the fop technology and I found it really cool.
> >As I was analysing the code for the PDF renderer, I was wondering if
> >there is any plan to build other renderer for other text format like RTF.
>
> Luca Toldo is working on RTF, as well as Braille (I think).
>
> Arved Sandstrom
>
> Senior Developer
> e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
> Halifax, Nova Scotia
> "B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"
Herve Tchepannou
mailto:htchepannou@videotron.ca

Re: JDK 1.1 and Images

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

Re: JDK 1.1 and Images

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
> I have been looking at getting FOP to work with JDK 1.1. To do this it is
> obvious that some functionality will not be able to be supported under JDK
> 1.1 due to extensive reliance on JDK 1.2 features (AWTRenderer). It does
> seem that "core" functionality should be able to be supported. One area
that
> I would like to consider "core" functionality (because I need it) is
images.
> The problem here is that GifJpegImage and JimiImage use JDK 1.2
transparency
> functions (ColorModel.hasAlpha(), ColorModel.getTransparency(), etc). It
> appears to me that these functions could be removed from the
aforementioned
> classes and transparency support maintained with perhaps a performance
> degradation in the case where hasAlpha() returns false (no transparency)
and
> the ColorModel is an instance of IndexedColorModel. I propose that we make
> this change in the interest of supporting images under JDK 1.1. The other
> obvious alternative is to create parallel classes for JDK 1.1 and 1.2 and
> have separate builds (YUCK!) or have the appropriate class loaded at
runtime
> (mildly unappealing due to multiple source files).
>
> Perhaps someone more familiar with Java images than myself can come up
with
> another alternative.
>
> What does the FOP community think about this?
>
> Attached is GifJpegImage.java as I would propose changing it.
>
> Thank You,
> Art
>
>  <<GifJpegImage.java>>

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to return image data as an int
array (like the Java API does). Thus, it could be easier to support JDK 1.1
/ Transparency, no ?
And handling transparency could be done in a seperate class (compiled or
not, depending on the JDK version).

I don't know what's the difference between JDK 1.1 and JDK 1.2, need to read
the doc...

For indexed ColorSpace, there's another problem: the image is written in the
PDF doc as an RGB image. We need to implement an "IndexedPDFColorSpace" and
use it...

Eric.

Re: JDK 1.1 and Images