Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Asier Martínez <ax...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 18:43:28 UTC

DNS questions

Hi again,
I'm having performance issues due my DNS server configurations. I'm
now using public dns servers, ( like google etc ) and it seems to be
certan limit of query responses at the same time.
I'm reading  about install my own DNS server, but I don't understand
how that can help me. My dns server probably don't know any domain
data and it is going to forward all the requests.
So the problem is the same, my local DNS server is not going to help,
except if the forwarding is smart and send dns request to a different
domain servers.
¿Can someone clarify this ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: DNS questions

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Asier Martínez <ax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
> I'm having performance issues due my DNS server configurations. I'm
> now using public dns servers, ( like google etc ) and it seems to be
> certan limit of query responses at the same time.
> I'm reading  about install my own DNS server, but I don't understand
> how that can help me. My dns server probably don't know any domain
> data and it is going to forward all the requests.
> So the problem is the same, my local DNS server is not going to help,
> except if the forwarding is smart and send dns request to a different
> domain servers.
> ¿Can someone clarify this ?
[...]

Not sure why you are asking this question on this
particular list, but depending on what kind of a
local DNS server you are running, and the quality
of your ISP's DNS server, this can make a very big
difference.

>From personal experience here in India, most^W
many ISPs seem to have little clue about DNS.
Just the saving in latency in querying their servers
often times makes it worthwhile to run a caching
name server on one's own laptop. Your mileage
will, of course, vary.

Regards,
Gora

Re: DNS questions

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
I'm reading  about install my own DNS server, but I don't understand
> how that can help me. My dns server probably don't know any domain
> data and it is going to forward all the requests.
> So the problem is the same, my local DNS server is not going to help,
> except if the forwarding is smart and send dns request to a different
> domain servers.

 Your local DNS server acts as a cache and forwards only unknown requests to
the external servers. There are quite a few DNS tools you can use, like BIND
which is reliable and well documented.

HTH

Julien

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com

Re: DNS questions

Posted by Asier Martínez <ax...@gmail.com>.
sorry but I didn't receive any messages from Gora :-)  the aren't on
my spam folder neither.

Re: DNS questions

Posted by Asier Martínez <ax...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response,