Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Esmond Pitt <es...@bigpond.com> on 2014/10/03 03:33:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Can a server be a member of more than one balancer group?

I have a situation where I may have to do some context-dependent
balancer routing.

I presently have a global balancer which can load-balance to any of the
target servers:

<Proxy balancer://global>
# IP addresses have been changed to protect the innocent
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.10:8009
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.20:8009
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.30:8009
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.40:8009
# etc
</Proxy>

And

ProxyPass /cLabs balancer:/global/cLabs

However application-specific and URL-specific circumstances can arise in
which I need the user to be in one of a smaller group of servers:

<Proxy balancer://specific>
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.20:8009
BalancerMember ajp://10.0.1.30:8009
# etc
</Proxy>

and

ProxyPass /cLabs/EDSI/catalog/Cisco/ICND1
balancer://specific/cLabs/EDSI/catalog/Cisco/ICND1

(written above the previous ProxyPass directive of course).

It seems to work on a quick test. I'm aware of the possible
session-tracking issues that could arise. My questions here are two:

1. Will it cause a problem that a given server (e.g.
ajp://10.0.1.20:8009 above) is in more than one balancer group?

2. Is there a better way of achieving what I'm trying to do?

EJP

Re: [users@httpd] Can a server be a member of more than one balancer group?

Posted by Daniel <df...@gmail.com>.
Why should it five any problems? As long as you point correctly to the
specific balancer group in your proxypass directives everything should be
ok.