Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/18 16:49:11 UTC

Proprietary BEA Dependency in Tuscany ?

Hi

   I'm trying to run java/testing/tomcat/bigbank and I found it requires the
following dependency :
   Missing:
      ----------
      1) javax.xml:jsr173:jar:1.0

      Try downloading the file manually from:
         http://ftpna2.bea.com/pub/downloads/jsr173.jar
       Then, install it using the command:
         mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=javax.xml -DartifactId=jsr173
-Dversion=1.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

   Looking at the jar file, looks like it has some proprietary code from BEA
and also some license documents inside
/**
 * This interface declares a simple filter interface that one can
 * create to filter XMLEventReaders
 * @version 1.0
 * @author Copyright (c) 2003 by BEA Systems. All Rights Reserved.
 */

   Is this ok for us to have these kind of dependencies ? or even ask people
to download proprietary jar files in order to run parts of tuscany ?

--
Regards

Luciano Resende

Re: Proprietary BEA Dependency in Tuscany ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I would also prefer that we use stax-api for this and update
/java/testing/tomcat/readme.htm accordingly.

Simon

Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Luciano Resende wrote:
>
>> Looks like the /java/testing/tomcat/readme.htm describes how to get  the
>> dependencies from XML Bean Distribution, and what we need is just  to
>> make
>> sure the message from running mvn does not point to bea website.
>>
>> If I download the file from the place on the documentation, and
>> install it
>> with the command below, things still work.
>>
>> mvn install:install-file -Dfile=jsr173_1.0_api.jar
>> -DgroupId=javax.xml-DartifactId=jsr173 -Dversion=
>> 1.0 -Dpackaging=jar
>>
>> So, looks like the only changes we need is on the pom.xml ? to  direct
>> people
>> to right place when the build fails ? if that's the case I'll  create
>> JIRA
>> and try to take care of this.
>

> Rather than add a separate dependency, please can we just exclude  this
> one and use stax-api.
> That should just be pom changes as well.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jeremy

Simon C Nash   IBM Distinguished Engineer
Hursley Park, Winchester, UK   nash@hursley.ibm.com
Tel. +44-1962-815156   Fax +44-1962-818999

Re: Proprietary BEA Dependency in Tuscany ?

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Looks like the /java/testing/tomcat/readme.htm describes how to get the
dependencies from XML Bean Distribution, and what we need is just to make
sure the message from running mvn does not point to bea website.

If I download the file from the place on the documentation, and install it
with the command below, things still work.

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=jsr173_1.0_api.jar
-DgroupId=javax.xml-DartifactId=jsr173 -Dversion=
1.0 -Dpackaging=jar

So, looks like the only changes we need is on the pom.xml ? to direct people
to right place when the build fails ? if that's the case I'll create JIRA
and try to take care of this.

- Luciano

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.