Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Noam Raphael <no...@myrealbox.com> on 2004/07/22 20:25:38 UTC

Local branches

Hello,

I am a compulsive patch-sender. I have a few pending patches to python,
including a quite big one.
I couldn't hold all the changes as "local changes" to the (to me read
only) CVS repository, so I opened a local repository, which holds my
patched version, and I periodically update it from the public repository.
The problem is that it's quite cumbersome. I thought that if I had my
own branch or branches, to save my local changes, in the public
repository, it may have been easier for me to manage my patches.

I was wondering, is something like that (local branches to a public
repository, to save my local changes in a more organized manner) is
planned for subversion?

Thanks,
Noam Raphael

Re: Local branches

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 15:25, Noam Raphael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a compulsive patch-sender. I have a few pending patches to python,
> including a quite big one.
> I couldn't hold all the changes as "local changes" to the (to me read
> only) CVS repository, so I opened a local repository, which holds my
> patched version, and I periodically update it from the public repository.
> The problem is that it's quite cumbersome. I thought that if I had my
> own branch or branches, to save my local changes, in the public
> repository, it may have been easier for me to manage my patches.
>
> I was wondering, is something like that (local branches to a public
> repository, to save my local changes in a more organized manner) is
> planned for subversion?

It sounds like you want a decentralized, rather than a centralized,
version control system.  'svk' (svk.elixus.org) is a separate project
based on subversion that is decentralized -- every developer has a
private repository, and the system manages the chaotic exchange of
patches.  'arch' works the same way, as does bitkeeper.  I'd recommend
you check them out.