Posted to users@daffodil.apache.org by "Costello, Roger L." <co...@mitre.org> on 2019/09/18 16:43:20 UTC

Is an oe ligature okay in the value of dfdl:initiator?

Hello DFDL community,

Here’s my input file (notice the œ ligature):

Lecœur Hello, world

Lecœur is the initiator.

Here’s my DFDL schema:

<xs:element     name="input"
                        type="xs:string"
                        dfdl:initiator="Lecœur"
                        dfdl:encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>

Running it yields this error message:

[error] Parse Error: Initiator 'Lec?ur' not found

Why am I getting this error message?

/Roger

Re: Is an oe ligature okay in the value of dfdl:initiator?

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>.
You have a mismatch between the character set encoding of your DFDL schema, and the character set encoding it says is in the data.

Is your DFDL schema in UTF-8?

The character œ doesn't exist in iso-8859-1.

If your data contains œ then the encoding must be iso-8859-15 or utf-8 or something that has the œ character.

I think it is a daffodil bug that you did not get a schema definition error when it read the string for your dfdl:initiator, but is not able to translate it into the encoding because some characters are illegal/unmapped. I would like you to have gotten "SDE: initiator contains characters undefined in encoding iso-8859-1: 'œ' ".