Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ron Newman <rn...@thecia.net> on 1999/08/31 00:38:13 UTC

general/4934: LoadModule "loaded module %s" message never written to log file, regardless of LogLevel

>Number:         4934
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       LoadModule "loaded module %s" message never written to log file, regardless of LogLevel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Although load_module() [in file mod_so.c] is calling
  ap_log_error(..., APLOG_DEBUG|APLOG_NOERROR, NULL, "loaded module %s", ...)
the log message never appears in the actual "error_log" file.

This is because load_module() is passing a NULL server_rec * pointer to
ap_log_error() [in file http_log.c].  ap_log_error() calls log_error_core() which
does the following:

    if (s == NULL) {
	/*
	 * If we are doing stderr logging (startup), don't log messages that are
	 * above the default server log level unless it is a startup/shutdown
	 * notice
	 */
	if (((level & APLOG_LEVELMASK) != APLOG_NOTICE) &&
	    ((level & APLOG_LEVELMASK) > DEFAULT_LOGLEVEL))
	    return;

Since DEFAULT_LOGLEVEL is defined [in http_log.h] to be APLOG_WARNING (== 4),
and we're calling log_error_core() with s==NULL and level==APLOG_DEBUG(== 7),
log_error_core() returns immediately without actually logging the message.
>How-To-Repeat:
Put these lines into httpd.conf (in this order):

LogLevel debug
LoadModule hello_module libexec/mod_hello.so

[where mod_hello.so is the one supplied with the O'Reilly "Writing Apache Modules" book]

[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]