Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by li...@zeta.net on 2005/05/20 07:15:41 UTC

What is a caching name server?

Hello list,

in several posts I have noticed people refer to a "caching nameserver".
What exactly is that?  Would BIND 9.3.1 qualify?  Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Devin

Re: What is a caching name server?

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Hi

yes Bind will become a caching only name server if you don;t have any
local zone files to lookup. Basically think of it as a proxy with
memory. It will remember previous look ups so it won't ask it's
resolvers again (unless the timeout value on the record has been reached).

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

lists@zeta.net wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> in several posts I have noticed people refer to a "caching nameserver".
> What exactly is that?  Would BIND 9.3.1 qualify?  Any advice would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Devin

the system manager.

Re: What is a caching name server?

Posted by Martin Schröder <ma...@oneiros.de>.
On 2005-05-19 22:15:41 -0700, lists@zeta.net wrote:
> in several posts I have noticed people refer to a "caching nameserver".
> What exactly is that?  Would BIND 9.3.1 qualify?  Any advice would be

http://www.google.com/search?q=caching+nameserver

HTH. HAND.
--
                    http://www.tm.oneiros.de

Re: What is a caching name server?

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 5/20/2005 11:52 AM +0200, lists@zeta.net wrote:
> Both of our mail servers are also DNS boxes with real zones.  Is there
> any way
> for BIND to act both as a normal DNS server for domains and also a caching
> nameserver?

Yes, read the BIND documentation.

Niek

Re: What is a caching name server?

Posted by li...@zeta.net.

Posted by Christian Recktenwald <sp...@citecs.de>.
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:15:41PM -0700, lists@zeta.net wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> in several posts I have noticed people refer to a "caching nameserver".
> What exactly is that?

It's a nameserver without local zone information except for
root-hints and, perhaps, localhost.

> Would BIND 9.3.1 qualify?

Yes.

Most Linux distributions (if you're happen to use one) have a default
configuration for bind to run as caching nameserver.

Minimal bind config on a Debian system:
------------------------------
options {
    directory "/var/cache/bind";
	version "none of your business";
};

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};
------------------------------

HTH, Chris

--
Christian Recktenwald      :                         :
citecs GmbH                : spamassassin-talk-dist@citecs.de

Re: What is a caching name server?

Posted by David Birnbaum <da...@pins.net>.
nscd is a Solaris daemon (perhaps other OSs as well) that caches
gethostbynam()/gethostbyaddr() lookups (and others of that ilk), but not all of
the DNS lookups that SpamAssassin uses (I think SpamAssassin may specifically
bypass some of those by use Net::DNS directly instead of the built-in OS
resolver routines).

nscd is controlled by parameters in /etc/nscd.conf.  You may see big performance
gains for IP and name lookup if you tune the negative caching paremters up on
busy mail servers, in any case.

David.

-----

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.