Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Dave Schoorl <ds...@bkwi.nl> on 2017/09/26 22:20:18 UTC

How to deal with module review without modifications

Hi all,

When you check a module for license headers and suspicious files (files that maybe were not owned by Oracle), make changes and do a Pull Request (PR), the PR is checked by one or more committers. On the other hand, when the person checking a module thinks no modifications are needed, no PR is made and no code review is done (obviously). However, review of the module check does not seem to take place either. What do we think of that?

E.g., Geertjan is wotking his ass off, checking one module after another, but making very little PR's compared to the number of modules he processes. When I review a couple of these modules, I think there might be some oversights. E.g.

api.intent has a Bundle.properties with an Oracle license header

api.progress has a apichanges.xml with an Oracle license header

api.progress.nb has aapichanges.xml with an Oracle license header

I would expect those Oracle license headers to be removed or replaced with Apache license headers.

How important is it to get the license headers right? Do we need a peer review on modules that seem okay? A second name in the name column on the wiki page, confirming that no changes are needed?

Please advise.

/Dave

@Geertjan: sorry to have used you as an example.

Re: How to deal with module review without modifications

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Right. And in that case the choice is between extending the tool to capture
that variation or to fix it manually, possibly hundreds of times. Don't
know the 'right' answer or if there is one, but those are the two solutions.

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
That's the way I see it.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I mean, the whole phrase mentions this:

> -checked Rat report: everything has been relicensed to Apache, included
in 'central problems' list above, or excluded via Rat

--emi

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.