Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/08 13:31:43 UTC

Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshot this webservice error?

Hi all,

In a nutshell I seem to be able pull data from a .Net based web service
but when I try push the same data back I'm getting an error.  Here's
what's happening...

Have created Java classes using wsdltojava using the published wsdl for
the service. e.g. the service is accessed with...
        SalesOrderService service = new
SalesOrderService(SALES_ORDER_SERVICE_URL, SALES_ORDER_SERVICE_NAME);
        SalesOrderServiceSoap soapService =
service.getSalesOrderServiceSoap();

I can call methods that return complex data types without any problem. e,g,
    SalesOrderDataSetType dataSet = soapService.getById(orderNum);

An error occurs when I try to pass the same dataset back as an input
parameter to another method.  e.g.
    SalesOrderDataSetType dataSet =
soapService.getNewOrderDtl(*dataSet*, orderNum);

This returns the stack trace...
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ClientFaultConverter.processFaultDetail(ClientFaultConverter.java:72)
    at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ClientFaultConverter.handleMessage(ClientFaultConverter.java:65)
    at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:206)
    at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.AbstractFaultChainInitiatorObserver.onMessage(AbstractFaultChainInitiatorObserver.java:86)
    at
org.apache.cxf.binding.soap.interceptor.ReadHeadersInterceptor.handleMessage(ReadHeadersInterceptor.java:178)
    at
org.apache.cxf.binding.soap.interceptor.ReadHeadersInterceptor.handleMessage(ReadHeadersInterceptor.java:57)
    at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.onMessage(ClientImpl.java:399)
    at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit$WrappedOutputStream.handleResponse(HTTPConduit.java:1830)
    at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit$WrappedOutputStream.close(HTTPConduit.java:1698)
    at
org.apache.cxf.transport.AbstractConduit.close(AbstractConduit.java:66)
    at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.MessageSenderInterceptor$MessageSenderEndingInterceptor.handleMessage(MessageSenderInterceptor.java:62)
    at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:253)
    at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:204)
    at org.apache.cxf.frontend.ClientProxy.invokeSync(ClientProxy.java:73)
    at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JaxWsClientProxy.invoke(JaxWsClientProxy.java:134)
    at $Proxy39.getNewOrderDtl(Unknown Source)

Not very helpful... but here's some more clues...

I was previously trying to do this with XFire and was getting an error
at the same point in the code...
org.codehaus.xfire.XFireRuntimeException: Could not invoke service..
Nested exception is org.codehaus.xfire.fault.XFireFault: String was not
recognized as a valid DateTime.;    at System.DateTime.ParseExact(String
s, String[] formats, IFormatProvider provider, DateTimeStyles style)
   at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToDateTime(String s, String[] formats)
   at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToDateTime(String s)

This suggests there is a problem with the date format being sent to the
webservice.  So I've tried to look at what is being sent using tools
like TcpMon but can only see the GET requests for the WSDL - I cannot
set any requests or responses associated with the methods being called.
Should I be looking at a port other than 80?

If you can suggest either a solution or a way to monitor the requests
and responses I'd really appreciate it.

thanks

Phil

Re: DateTime format problem - solved

Posted by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com>.
After many hours of searching I've discovered the original dateTime
marshalling problem was a bug in JAXP (see bug 6565321 -
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6565321).

So if you have problems marshalling dateTimes which contain fractional
seconds components then get hold of JAXP 1.4.2 and drop the two jars in
<jre>\lib\endorsed.  Problem solved.

Thank you to James and others that assisted me today while chasing this.

/Phil

Re: DateTime format problem (was Re: Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshot this webservice error?)

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.

Posted by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks James,

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.

Posted by Randy Burgess <RB...@nuvox.com>.
I don't believe .NET DataSets are Basic Profile 1.0 compatible. I don't know
if this is the problem or not.

Regards,
Randy Burgess
Web Applications Developer
Nuvox Communications

On 8/8/07 4:42 PM, "Phillip Baird" <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Velidanda Srinivas wrote:
>> What is the returned from the call soapService.getById(orderNum)?
>>
> It returns a SalesOrderDataSetType which is a .Net dataset converted by
> wsdl2java.
> SalesOrderDataSetType dataSet = soapService.getById(orderNum);
>
> Via the debugger I can see this object is populated correctly.
>
> The problem occurs when this object is passed back as an input parameter to
> the next call.

This email and any attachments ("Message") may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, or if this Message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy, or distribute it, and we ask that you please delete it (including all copies) and notify the sender by return email.  Delivery of this Message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) shall not be deemed a waiver of confidentiality and/or a privilege.

Re: Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshot this webservice error?

Posted by Phillip Baird <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Velidanda Srinivas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.
What is the returned from the call soapService.getById(orderNum)?

To learn more about Singularity's business process management solutions and services please visit:
www.singularity.co.uk
www.singularity.us.com
Singularity operates globally through its offices in New York, London, Singapore, Ireland and India. Singularity Limited is incorporated in the United Kingdom with Registration Number NI 31519 and its Registered Office at 100 Patrick Street, Derry, BT48 7EL, United Kingdom.