Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/20 05:25:19 UTC

Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Hi devs,

With the help of Shawn, we realized it's pretty easy to re-categorize the
items in navigation pane because of flexible architecture of Geronimo plugin
system. Just wonder if we could include the updates to the coming G2.2
release as a transitional stage of Console improvement task in G3.0. Here is
how I did it.

 Locate all the AdminConsoleExtensionGBean in plan.xml of each portlet and
change the pageTitle attribute. For example,
      Update
         <gbean name="JMSServerManager"
class="org.apache.geronimo.pluto.AdminConsoleExtensionGBean">
           <attribute name="pageTitle">Server/JMS Server</attribute>
         <gbean name="JMSServerManager"
class="org.apache.geronimo.pluto.AdminConsoleExtensionGBean">
           <attribute name="pageTitle">Application Server/JMS
Server</attribute>

 The new category is nearly identical with the proposal in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4950. I've built the server
assembly locally and looks everything just works fine.

If you think it's acceptable, I'll open a new JIRA and submit the patches
for 2.2 branch&trunk later.

Any comments?

Jeff C

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. JMS Resources and Database Pools stay under Resources group. IIUC,
>> developers can use @Resource annotation to inject these objects during
>> runtime. And that's the major reason they shall be in Resources group.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>> 2. Server logs and Derby logs might be placed in another group called
>> Troubleshooting? or put them together with Monitoring, other viewers and
>> name as Troubleshooting?
>>

> Troubleshooting might not be an adequate label to include monitoring. Maybe
> we just call it "Monitoring and Troubleshooting", or just split them into
> two categories.

Actually, the current two-level menu are not enough to categorize the
portlets well.

I plan to improve the navigation with ajax and 3-level menu support so that
we can have more accurate menu definition and better user experience.

>> Donald is making a good point here.  And we do need to consider the risk
>> of this change. Here are my thoughts for your consideration.
>>

> Since most people are focusing on G3.0, maybe we should just let G2.2 go.
> It'll be good that we push G2.2 out as soon as possible.

agreed.

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:55 PM, viola lu <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As Donald Woods noticed, navigation panel re-organization will result in
>> console test suite package. From SVT view, this also will affect our
>> selenium automation code: first should check all items' path, and update its
>> path.This is time-consuming.So it's better to re-organize navigation panel
>> in G3.0.Thanks.
>

> I agree there's risk, But I think that some search&replace will make the
> selenium work again.
>
>  Anyway, I'm fine to defer this re-org to post-G2.2 release.
>

> Thanks for discussion.  Considering the impact of this change and G2.2
release schedule, I think it's more reasonable to do this task later.

I've incorporated some output from this discussion into
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4950, the JIRA for usability
improvement in G3.0.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by viola lu <vi...@gmail.com>.

--
viola

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for your comments.

And I really appreciate the category that David suggested, I think it's ok
except that
1. JMS Resources and Database Pools stay under Resources group. IIUC,
developers can use @Resource annotation to inject these objects during
runtime. And that's the major reason they shall be in Resources group.
2. Server logs and Derby logs might be placed in another group called
Troubleshooting? or put them together with Monitoring, other viewers and
name as Troubleshooting?

About portlets such as LDAP Viewer, Apach HTTP we can just leave them as is.
Maybe we could find a better solution for them at the time of G3.0 is
released.

Donald is making a good point here.  And we do need to consider the risk of
this change. Here are my thoughts for your consideration.

As for the doc issue, I remember there are several contributors in the
community would love to help with doc update, maybe we can invite them for
this task once we decide to make the change of navigation pane in G2.2.
AFAICT, the update to doc won't take too much efforts.

While for the testsuite issue, maybe we need someone with more experience in
browser based test scripts to evaluate the size of impact.

Anyway, I am just proposing the changes and as I mentioned at the very
beginning of this thread, this change in G2.2 is only a transitional stage
for users to learn we are trying to improve our console for
better usability.

So still waiting for your decision before I open a JIRA for this one.

Thanks again.

Jeff C

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/20 Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>
>
> my two cents:
>>
>> 1,  two "server logs" in the snapshot.
>>
>> 2, "deply new" should be the first one in applications category.
>
> Well, IIRC, there is no means to explicitly specify the sequency of the
> tree items,  unless its AdminConsoleExtensionGBean starts before the others.
> Shall we add such support?

Right, I just realized that we can't specify the sequences of the items.  We
definitely need this function so that we can adjust the items to what we
want.

We can add a sequence level(like osgi start level) attribute for each tree
item somewhere.

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
my two cents:

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> This organization doesn't quite make sense to me.
>
> I can see something like
>

> >App Server
> info
> java system info
> server logs
> shutdown
> thread pools
> web server
> ejb server
> jms server
> DB info
> DB Manager
>
> >Resources
> Jar aliases
> Respository
>

> JMS Resources (why not under applications??)

Database pools (again, why not under applications?)

They are more like resources other than applications for me.   I also find
they are under resources section in other Java EE app server like WAS.

--
Shawn

Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/20 David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> This organization doesn't quite make sense to me.
>
> I can see something like
>

> >App Server
> info
> java system info
> server logs
> shutdown
> thread pools
> web server
> ejb server
> jms server
> DB info
> DB Manager
>
> >Resources
> Jar aliases
> Respository
> JMS Resources (why not under applications??)
> Database pools (again, why not under applications?)
>
> >Applications
> Deploy New
> Plan Creator
> Plugins
> System Modules
> Application Ears
> Web App Wars
> Ejb Jars
> J2CA Connectors
> App Clients
>
> >Security
> Security Realms
> Keystores
> Certificate Authrotiry
> Users and Groups (this is not useful for real apps since it only looks at
> the default properties file security realm which hopefully no one will ever
> use in production)
>
> >Monitoring
> JMX Viewer
> JNDI Viewere
> Classloader viewer
> Dependency Viewer
> Monitoring
> LDAP Viewer (We don't install ldap by default, and this is a pretty weak
> app compared to e.g. ApacheDS Studio)

Yes. While I was updating the dojo of debug view portlets, I also have a
question in mind that why we implement such viewer in geronimo. Since
compared with the others(Dependency viewer, Classloader..), it is not very
closed with geronimo. So shall we cut this from our web console?

-Rex

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeff,

This organization doesn't quite make sense to me.

I can see something like

 >App Server
info
java system info
server logs
shutdown
thread pools
web server
ejb server
jms server
DB info
DB Manager

 >Resources
Jar aliases
Respository
JMS Resources (why not under applications??)
Database pools (again, why not under applications?)

 >Applications
Deploy New
Plan Creator
Plugins