Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jake Feasel <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu> on 2002/01/20 05:51:28 UTC

forumdemo example problem and others

My system config:

Slackware 8 (2.4 kernel)
Tomcat 4.0.1
IBM's Java2 1.3 SDK
Velocity 1.2

I am trying to run any velocity servlet on my system.  I tried compiling
my own page, but for some reason, it doesn't return anything.  So, I
decided to try the forum demo example app.  I did an "ant forumdemo" and
put the resulting .war file from the bin directory into the
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir.  Restarted Tomcat.

went to <root>:8080/forumdemo.  Pages pulls up fine (of course).
Click on the blab topic link, and I get :

ForumDemo : Error processing the request

There was a problem in the request.

The relevant error is :
ForumDemo -> ControllerServlet.handleRequest() : Cannot find template
list.vm

followed by a lengthy stack trace (see below). Next, I tried to use the
expanded version of the forumdemo app found in the examples directory,
making the directory $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/forumdemo. I also removed
the .war file that I just tested.  Restarted Tomcat. Tried to pull up
the app. As you might expect, the same exact error occured.  I noticed
that the file "velocity.properties" in the WEB-INF/conf folder contains
a logging directive - specifying a runtime log file.  I can't find this
file anywhere.  Any hints on where to look for it would be helpful.

Next, I searched this mailing list to see if anyone else reported
"Cannot find template list.vm" and a few people reported this error, but
no obvious solution was posted.  These also appeared to be older
messages.  I did note, however, that someone posted a link that pointed
to a prepackaged demo that was entirely self-reliant, designed to run
just this forumdemo.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-velocity/demo/
So I followed the instructions layed out there, and amazingly enough,
the application worked!  The first time I tried it, it failed with a
similar error as the first two attempts.  Then, in desparation, I tried
it again, and it worked.  Very strange indeed. I noticed that this demo
runs velocity 1.0, not 1.2.  Anyhow, the 1.2 forumdemo that I added to
Tomcat doesn't work, still.  So what am I missing here?  The ultimate
goal is of course not to run the forumdemo, but to make my own velocity
apps, so if anyone has any idea about why my (attached) Java app doesn't
return anything, I'd appreicate that too.

Jake Feasel

---- STACK TRACE ----
The error occurred at :

java.lang.Exception: handleRequest(Context) returned null - no template
selected! at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.handleRequest(VelocityServlet.java:559) at org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doRequest(VelocityServlet.java:331) at org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doGet(VelocityServlet.java:292) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:201) at org.apach!
e.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2344) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564) at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564) at org.apache.catalina.core.!
StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:163) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943) at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1011) at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1106) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

Re: forumdemo example problem and others

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.ch>.
Jake Feasel wrote:

> >From the startup log file:
>
> 2002-01-20 21:00:05 StandardHost[localhost]: Installing web application
> at context path /velstruts from URL
> jar:file:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velstruts.war!/
> 2002-01-20 21:00:06 HostConfig[localhost] Error deploying web
> application archive velstruts.war
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velstruts/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> (No such file or directory)
>
> something missing?

Thanks for the test. That's really interesting.
MANIFEST.MF *is* in there. It works flawlessly on my Tomcat 4.0.1, Win2k, JDK 1.3
installation. Some people are able to run it but others have reported various
different problems on different platforms. We must be doing something wrong with
this .war...  We need to look more into this.

Gabe

> Jake Feasel

Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland

Re: forumdemo example problem and others

Posted by Jake Feasel <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu>.

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.ch>.
Jake,
would you mind trying the following *.war and report if you observe the
same problems?

http://husted.com/struts/resources/velstruts.zip

This is the current prototype of the Velocity/Struts integration effort.
(Velocity 1.3-dev, Struts 1.0.1) Just deploy the war, restart your server
and point your browser at <server>/velstruts/. There are five example apps.

Getting the deployment of *.war files right seems to be quite a challenge.
If've seen many problem reports related to this, not just in the Velocity
context. I'd really like to better understand the issues causing these
deployment problems.

Looking forward to your report...

Thanks
Gabe

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@yahoo.com>.
On 1/19/02 11:51 PM, "Jake Feasel" <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> My system config:
>
> Slackware 8 (2.4 kernel)
> Tomcat 4.0.1
> IBM's Java2 1.3 SDK
> Velocity 1.2
>
> I am trying to run any velocity servlet on my system.  I tried compiling
> my own page, but for some reason, it doesn't return anything.  So, I
> decided to try the forum demo example app.  I did an "ant forumdemo" and
> put the resulting .war file from the bin directory into the
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir.  Restarted Tomcat.

We will look at this (I will to make sure it works...), but I would suggest
first starting with the simplest thing possible, which I think is the
ClasspathResourceLoader based /examples/servlet_example2

Read the instructions and look back on the vel user list about 2 days where
we touched on this...

See if you can get that to work - once we have that solved, we can move
forward with forumdemo

geir

System and Software Consulting

Re: forumdemo example problem and others

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@yahoo.com>.
Jakarta mailing lists were down yesterday, hence the delay in response....

Inline...

On 1/21/02 2:19 AM, "Jake Feasel" <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> Well, I did like you specified -
>
> $ cd ~/velocity-1.2/build
> $ ant jar-dep
> $ rm $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/forumdemo/WEB-INF/lib/velocity.jar
> $ cd ~/velocity-1.2/bin
> $ cp velocity-dep-1.2.jar $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/forumdemo/WEB-INF/lib
>
> restarted tomcat
>
> pulled up /forumdemo, same error.  If this is a problem with this
> application and not my setup, then I'd rather just move on to try and
> get *some* velocity app working correctly.  So, following your other
> advice :

Ok - I updated the build.xml to fix this in the future, as there was a
problem, no doubt.

However, if that didn't work for you, then something wierder is going on.

> ---- begin advice ----
>
> I would suggest
> first starting with the simplest thing possible, which I think is the
> ClasspathResourceLoader based /examples/servlet_example2
>
> Read the instructions and look back on the vel user list about 2 days
> where
> we touched on this...
>
> See if you can get that to work - once we have that solved, we can move
> forward with forumdemo
>
> ---- end advice ----
>
> Read the instructions - here's what my dir tree looks like -
>
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velexample/:
> WEB-INF/  velocity.properties
>
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velexample/WEB-INF:
> classes/  lib/  web.xml
>
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velexample/WEB-INF/classes:
> SampleServlet2.class
>
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/velexample/WEB-INF/lib:
> template.jar  velocity-dep-1.2.jar
>
> I request /velexample/servlet/SampleServlet2 and I get nothing back - a
> completely blank response.  This is the exact same behavior I was
> getting with the (extremely simple) servlet I wrote.
>
> check out this url to see for yourself:
> http://www.brightlightbulb.com:8080/velexample/servlet/SampleServlet2
>
> (I doubt you'll see much)

I can't even get a connection.  I assume you took things down by this
point...

> No mention of any problems in the tomcat logfile.  I'm thinking I might
> just reinstall everything and see if I might have any better luck.  I'll
> hold off on that for the moment.
>
> On a side note - the velocity.properties file is required when?  And
> where?  I seem to remember reading that it goes in the webapp's root
> dir, (eg $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/forumdemo/velocity.properties) but I've
> seen it in <webapp>/WEB-INF/conf.  Where is this file supposed to go?
> And is there any possiblty the trouble I'm having is related to a
> missing properties file?

Hm. Maybe.

The velocity.properties file is really a convenience.  The Velocity API can
take a Properties to configure, but it really is using the fundamental
setProperty() methods to do this. (What I am trying to say is that you could
do this with the setProperty() method if you wanted to)

So the velocity.properties can be anywhere you choose - when using
VelocityServlet (the baseclass to SampleServlet2) it gets it as an
init-param to the servlet in web.xml - keeping it in WEB-INF is nicer as it
hides it from users (can't be delivered to a client...).

There is some yecchyness to this stuff, as there is a bit of fog when using
files in a webapp because of relocatability and the fact you may not even
have a real filesystem to go to, so using things like file logging and
templates via the FileResourceLoader is somewhat problematic.  .So what we
have for the examples is a somewhat hacky approach to help people get
booted, but using things like the WebappResourceLoader (from the -tools
project in /view) makes more sense.

Anyway - we still have to solve your problems.

Can you

  1) send me your web.xml and velocity.properties

  2) Look for a velocity.log file in either tomcats root or tomcat/bin
(assuming you start tomcat from the command line...)

You can send privately or through the list.

Geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@yahoo.com>.
On 1/19/02 11:51 PM, "Jake Feasel" <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> My system config:
>
> Slackware 8 (2.4 kernel)
> Tomcat 4.0.1
> IBM's Java2 1.3 SDK
> Velocity 1.2
>
> I am trying to run any velocity servlet on my system.  I tried compiling
> my own page, but for some reason, it doesn't return anything.  So, I
> decided to try the forum demo example app.  I did an "ant forumdemo" and
> put the resulting .war file from the bin directory into the
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir.  Restarted Tomcat.
>
> went to <root>:8080/forumdemo.  Pages pulls up fine (of course).
> Click on the blab topic link, and I get :
>

> ForumDemo : Error processing the request

The problem is pretty simple - you can fix yourself and I will update the
forumdemo build

The problem is that when we switched to a dependency-free jar in 1.2, we
didn't update the forumdemo to use either dependency-inclusive jar or add
the dependencies to the war.

So to solve, build the depndency-inclusive jar via

  and jar-dep

And then copy the new jar

  bin/velocity-dep-1.3-dev.jar

(or 1.2)

To the WEB-INF/lib directory in the forumdemo webapp and remove the other
velocity.jar that is there.

Restart tomcat, and all should be well.

Thanks for finding this (and our apologies for you having to find this :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@yahoo.com>.
On 1/19/02 11:51 PM, "Jake Feasel" <ja...@uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> My system config:
>
> Slackware 8 (2.4 kernel)
> Tomcat 4.0.1
> IBM's Java2 1.3 SDK
> Velocity 1.2
>
> I am trying to run any velocity servlet on my system.  I tried compiling
> my own page, but for some reason, it doesn't return anything.  So, I
> decided to try the forum demo example app.  I did an "ant forumdemo" and
> put the resulting .war file from the bin directory into the
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps dir.  Restarted Tomcat.
>
> went to <root>:8080/forumdemo.  Pages pulls up fine (of course).
> Click on the blab topic link, and I get :

Ok- tried forumdemo - there is indeed a problem.  I got a different error
than you did.

Will chase down and report back...

System and Software Consulting