Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Evan Rawson - Work <er...@americanadtrader.com> on 2008/01/30 00:12:52 UTC

T5 - shutting off script.aculo.us

i was wondering how to tell tapestry not to load any of the scriptlous or prototype libraries. Our company uses our own js libraries, and these script.aculo.us files increase download times drastically. I think forcing all tapestry applications with forms to use these files is ridicoulous. I mean it would be one thing if they were 10 or 20k but at the moment tapestry forces uses to download an extra 220 K of resources just to handle a page with forms.

atleast use http://dean.edwards.name/packer/ to pack all fo the files the 146KB prototype library will be compressed to 46KB.

our company chose tapestry to work with because it was the easiest to use of the non obtrusive web application frameworks. i dont want to see T5 get bloated with a bunch of features that are not necessary. If developers of the tapestry applications want to add the bells and whistles, then they should be able to add them manually.

all in all if we aren't able to create a config file which can turn this off and on, how would one go about manually overiding these features to turn them off. our website's landing page is.

thank you in advance

yours truly
evan

Re: T5 - shutting off script.aculo.us

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
If you turn off client-side validation for your form, then most of the
Javascript will go away.

There's an outstanding issue to automatically pack/compress all
JavaScript sent to the client.  I'd prefer that to be live, so as to
handle not just expected libraries (prototype, etc.) but also
per-application JavaScript, and other third party stuff such as the
Calendar (used by DateField).

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship