Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/29 20:57:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release of standalone-metastore

In the thread on releasing Hive 3.0 I wrote
<quote>
We should work on producing a standalone-metastore
release in the same time frame so that the schema's, etc. match. I can RM
that unless someone else wants to.
</quote>
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/307b281c3742fdf6aeb7fac3ee74a98830400b67711755572de15b80@%3Cdev.hive.apache.org%3E

My thinking was to produce a separate metastore release, like we do for
storage-api.  However, I missed that I needed to do some work in branch-3.0
to disconnect standalone-metastore from the pom before the release (in the
same way that storage-api does).  Thus when we released Hive 3.0 we also
released the standalone-metastore. See
https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C2%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.hive%22   So
I can't release another version of standalone-metastore 3.0.  Here is what
I propose we do:

   1. Put the src and bin tarballs for standalone-metastore in Hive's
   distribution site.  We have already voted on these as part of 3.0 release
   process.
   2. Like storage-api, we keep the standalone-metastore linked in the pom
   in the master branch.  This makes life easier for developers as they
   produce new patches.
   3. Also like storage-api, at some future point before we release Hive
   3.1 I will:
      1. Make a separate branch for standalone-metastore from branch-3
      2. Release a standalone-metastore 3.1 from this new branch
      3. Remove standalone-metastore from the list of sub-modules in Hive's
      pom.xml
      4. Make Hive depend on the released 3.1 version of the
      standalone-metastore.
   4. For branch-3.0, I do not propose to do the same separation as in
   branch-3, but we can make a different choice in the future if there is a
   reason to do so.

Make sense?  Thoughts?

Alan.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of standalone-metastore

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
I have pushed the standalone metastore src and bin tarballs and their
signatures and hashes into Hive's dist area, so they should soon be
available for download.  Congrats to all who worked on this!

As part of creating a release tag for the standalone metastore I noticed we
didn't have one for release 3.0.0, so I created a tag for that as well.

Alan.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Peter Vary <pv...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.
How about cutting out a branch-3.0.1 and releasing 3.0.1 with the pom.xml
fixed? My concern with above approach is we haven't tested
standalone-metastore when deployed independent of Hive. So we don't know if