Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/21 21:45:27 UTC

Hibernate and Apache NetBeans

Hi all,

Jan just asked about a couple of problematic external libraries - one of
them is hibernate.

Looking at the rules I think we cannot distribute modules relying on
Hibernate with Apache NetBeans.

So I did a quick dive and found a major problem. At the moment there is a
special support module for Hibernate (supporting stuff like HQL..). I think
we have to get rid of that (still have to check for further modules
depending on this module). This is the only module using "import
org.hibernate.*" statements.

Idea: Maybe we can move the Hibernate Support module over to another
community place so the code does not get lost and we can try to release a
plugin from there - how about that? Not sure what the correct process and
correct licensing for this module would be..

I found this http://camel.apache.org/hibernate.html and
https://github.com/camel-extra/camel-extra/tree/master/components/camel-hibernate
as an example of another Apache project not being able to use LGPL
components at Apache.

There is https://github.com/netbeans-community - some distant time in the
past Florian and I thought this may be a good place to bundle community
efforts around NetBeans - maybe we could use this now?

Comments?

-Sven

P.S. I think if we get the JavaEE part this will be much harder - I assume
some of the JPA magic will rely on use of Hibernate - we will have to
switch this over to OpenJPA or EclipseLink (both should be good in terms of
license - I think...)

Re: Hibernate and Apache NetBeans

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1

Those are the origins of the "non-apache" NetBeans cluster, that some
day will live in its own repository, far, far away.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Okay so I made a mess of my local git branch, so removed it (which closed
my previous PR) and so started again, luckily it's now a much smaller
change.

PR#303 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/303> Removed
hibernate and hibernate4libs from the cluster.properties.  I also moved an
icon used by the j2ee.persistence module from hibernate into that module,
since we won't be distributing the hibernate module as part of Apache
NetBeans.

Regards

John

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
I agree. We should not remove all the files, just exclude the module from cluster.properties.

--emi

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Oh, well, that was just an opinion, trying to spark some debate.

Maybe the way to go is to remove stuff completely, as you did, since
it's offending the NetBeans license. But the problem is the library, not
our Apache licensed code.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Okay,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Mmmm... I'm not sure I like this.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
I don't believe it's important to go all the way with these modules. An IDE release is the goal, extra work just takes valuable time away.

Leaving the modules where they are until a future decision doesn't do any harm.

--emi

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
I've submitted a PR (298

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.